Exercise from basic Fourier Analysis

In summary, the conversation was about an exercise in basic Fourier analysis which consisted of two parts. The first part involved showing that a given sequence converges to 0 in the Cesáro sense, while the second part involved showing a similar result for another sequence involving cotangent. The conversation also included discussions on using geometric series and complex exponential expressions to solve the problem.
broegger
I really need help with this exercise (it's from a course in basic Fourier analysis). It consists of two parts:

(i) Let [Tex] s_0 = 1/2 [/Tex] and [Tex] s_n = 1/2 + \sum_{j=1}^{n}\cos(jx) [/Tex] for [Tex] n \geq 1 [/Tex]. By writing [Tex] s_n = \left(\sum_{j=-n}^{n}e^{ijx}\right)/2 [/Tex] and summing geometric series show that [Tex] (n+1)^{-1}\sum_{j=0}^{n}s_j \rightarrow 0 [/Tex] as [Tex] n \rightarrow \infty [/Tex] for all [Tex] x \neq 0~mod~2\pi [/Tex], and so

[Tex] 0 = 1/2 + \sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\cos(jx) [/Tex] in the Cesáro sense.

(ii) Show similarly that, if [Tex] x \neq 0~mod~2\pi [/Tex], then

[Tex] cot(x/2) = 2\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\sin(jx) [/Tex] in the Cesáro sense.

In (i) I have tried to write out two geometric series and summing them, but I can't get the desired result. I have no idea on (ii).

"in the Cesáro sense" means (i think) that the average of a given sequence [Tex] s_0,s_1,s_2,\ldots [/Tex] converges against a given limit L (the sequence itself doesn't nescessarily) - that is, the sequence [Tex] s_0, (s_0 + s_1)/2, (s_0 + s_1 + s_2)/3,\ldots \rightarrow L [/Tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
broegger said:
I really need help with this exercise (it's from a course in basic Fourier analysis). It consists of two parts:

(i) Let [tex] s_0 = 1/2 [/tex] and [tex] s_n = 1/2 + \sum_{j=1}^{n}\cos(jx) [/tex] for [tex] n \geq 1 [/tex]. By writing [tex] s_n = \left(\sum_{j=-n}^{n}e^{ijx}\right)/2 [/tex] and summing geometric series show that [tex] (n+1)^{-1}\sum_{j=0}^{n}s_j \rightarrow 0 [/tex] as [tex] n \rightarrow \infty [/tex] for all [tex] x \neq 0~mod~2\pi [/tex], and so

[tex] 0 = 1/2 + \sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\cos(jx) [/tex] in the Cesáro sense.

(ii) Show similarly that, if [tex] x \neq 0~mod~2\pi [/tex], then

[tex] cot(x/2) = 2\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\sin(jx) [/tex] in the Cesáro sense.

In (i) I have tried to write out two geometric series and summing them, but I can't get the desired result. I have no idea on (ii).

"in the Cesáro sense" means (i think) that the average of a given sequence [tex] s_0,s_1,s_2,\ldots [/tex] converges against a given limit L (the sequence itself doesn't nescessarily) - that is, the sequence [tex] s_0, (s_0 + s_1)/2, (s_0 + s_1 + s_2)/3,\ldots \rightarrow L [/tex]
Is this how you meant it?
(Use "tex" not "Tex")

For part i, I would say one should first convert [tex] s_n = \left(\sum_{j=-n}^{n}e^{ijx}\right)/2 [/tex] into simpler form using the sum of geometric series formula. Then one should have no difficulty in finding [tex]\sum_{n} s_{n}[/tex]. Moreover one should note that for all integer m, [tex]|e^{imx}|=1[/tex] for all real x.

Thanks for answering.. I have shown that [tex] (n+1)^{-1} \sum_{j=0}^{n} s_n \rightarrow 0 [/tex] as [tex] n \rightarrow \infty [/tex], but I can't see exactly how that relates to solving (i)...

broegger said:
...but I can't see exactly how that relates to solving (i)...

Did you mean (ii)?

yes, I'm sorry, part (ii).. I have no idea on that one (i assume cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x))

hi broegger.

I did not do part (ii), but I think all they want you to realize that [tex]sinx = \frac {1}{2i} (e^{ix}-e^{-ix}) [/tex]. Using this formula, find [tex] \sum_{j=0}^{n} sin(jx) [/tex]. Then all the steps are similar to what you did in part i), I think. Of course one should always remember [tex] cosx = \frac{1}{2} (e^{ix}+e^{-ix}) [/tex] and [tex]sinx = \frac {1}{2i} (e^{ix}-e^{-ix}) [/tex]. Using these, one may find an expression for cot(x/2) in "complex" exponential.

I did not do it, but I think that may be the way to do it.

Last edited:
Hi. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

I'll try the method you advised for part (ii).. about part (i) I'm not sure my reasoning are correct; how can you apply the geometric series formula when the series in question are not infinite - ex. [tex] \sum_{j=-4}^{4}e^{ijx} = 1/2 + \sum_{j=1}^{4}\cos(jx) [/tex]. I don't know if you see what I mean (maybe I'm getting this all wrong).

broegger, do you know that 1+r+r^2+...r^n = (1-r^(n+1))/(1-r)?

Erm.. How can that be true?? In the limit [tex] n = \infty [/tex] the sum you are mentioning is equal to 1/(1-r).

I'm really troubled by this :\

Let S(r) = 1+r..+r^n, then
r*S(r) = r+r^2+...+r^(n+1)
(1-r)*S(r) = 1-r^(n+1)
S(r) = (1-r^(n+1))/(1-r)

Yes, the limit of the expression as n tends to infinity tends to 1/(1-r), *if*|r|<1.

Three years old, but now I'm trying to solve the problem ((i)).

I suppose

[tex] 2s_n = \sum_{j=-n}^{n}e^{ijx} = \frac{1-e^{(i x)(n+1)}}{1-e^{i x}}+\frac{1-e^{(-i x)(n+1)}}{1-e^{-i x}}-1 [/tex]

so I have to show (?) that

[tex] \lim_{p\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{p+1}\sum_{n=0}^{p}s_n=\lim_{p\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{p+1}\sum_{n=0}^{p}\left(\frac{1-e^{(i x)(n+1)}}{1-e^{i x}}+\frac{1-e^{(-i x)(n+1)}}{1-e^{-i x}}-1\right)/2=0. [/tex]

Apparently one should have no difficulty in showing that, but I do.

Last edited:

1. What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex signal into simpler sine and cosine waves. It is commonly used to analyze periodic signals and functions in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. What is the purpose of Fourier analysis in exercise science?

In exercise science, Fourier analysis is used to analyze and quantify muscle activity and movement patterns during exercise. It can also be used to assess the effectiveness of different exercise interventions and track changes in muscle performance over time.

3. How is Fourier analysis applied in exercise research?

Researchers use Fourier analysis to analyze electromyography (EMG) signals, which measure muscle activity, during exercise. By breaking down the EMG signals into their frequency components, researchers can better understand the muscle recruitment patterns and muscle fatigue during various types of exercise.

4. What are the limitations of using Fourier analysis in exercise science?

One limitation of using Fourier analysis in exercise science is that it assumes the signals being analyzed are periodic and unchanging over time. This may not always be the case in real-world exercise scenarios, where the intensity and duration of exercise may vary. Additionally, the accuracy of Fourier analysis depends on the quality of the data being collected.

5. How can Fourier analysis be used to improve exercise performance?

By analyzing muscle activity and movement patterns through Fourier analysis, exercise scientists can identify areas of weakness or inefficiency in an individual's movements and develop targeted interventions to improve exercise performance. This can help athletes and fitness enthusiasts optimize their training and reach their performance goals.