Finding the Right Wire for a Resistance Heater in Satellite Dish

In summary, the individual is looking for a wire to use as a resistance heater for their satellite dish. They plan to sandwich the wire between aluminum foil tape and power it with 110Vac. The wire will be used with a temperature and humidity controller to prevent ice formation on the dish. The individual has researched various heating cables and wires, but is looking for a more affordable and easy to apply option. They mention considering heating wire systems designed for bathroom tile and mention a specific product, the DUAL CONDUCTOR M.I. ALLOY 825 SS by Delta-Therm.
TheIntern
I am trying to determine a wire to use as a resistance heater. I want to adhere this wire to the rear of my satelitte dish with aluminum foil tape. I am in the process of designing a temperature and humidity controller to cycle the heaters on and off. I know that I need the heater to produce a temperature between 130°F to 140°F. I plan to power the heating wire with 110Vac.

The controller will sense the ambient temperature and humidity around the reflector and if the conditions for the formation of ice are present, I want the heaters to turn on for 10 minuets then turn off for 5 minuets until the temperature and/or humidity no longer creates the conditions for ice formation.

The heating wire will be sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum tape and there will be a rear cover placed over the rear of the reflector so the heating wire will not be directly incontact with any precipitation or ice melt.

I have researched several heating cables and wires, but many of them get way to hot or are mineral insulated and cost too much. I pulled some heating wire out of two old electric blankets I had lying around and one of them had a wire that was just seven small strands spiraled together, the other was an acutual heating wire like the DUAL CONDUCTOR M.I. ALLOY 825 SS manufatured by Delta-Therm.
(http://www.delta-therm.com/miheattracecables ) I would rather find some wiring like the first mentioned due to ease of application and cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Might look into heating wire systems made to put under your bathroom tile -- a cheapo retrofit for non-radiant heat floors. The bit I got for my shower stall was about 200 watts and ran on 120v.

1. How do you determine the appropriate wire gauge for a resistance heater in a satellite dish?

To determine the appropriate wire gauge for a resistance heater in a satellite dish, you will need to calculate the wattage of the heater and the length of the wire. Then, refer to a wire gauge chart to find the appropriate gauge for the wattage and length. It is important to choose a wire gauge that can handle the amount of current needed for the heater without overheating or causing a fire.

2. Can any type of wire be used as a resistance heater in a satellite dish?

No, not all wires are suitable for use as a resistance heater in a satellite dish. It is important to use a wire that is designed for high temperatures and can withstand the amount of current needed for the heater. Copper and nickel wires are commonly used for resistance heaters in satellite dishes.

3. How does the length of the wire affect the performance of a resistance heater in a satellite dish?

The length of the wire can impact the performance of a resistance heater in a satellite dish. Longer wires have a higher resistance, which means they will require more voltage to produce the same amount of heat. This can result in a decrease in the efficiency of the heater. It is important to choose an appropriate length of wire to ensure optimal performance.

4. What is the maximum temperature that the wire for a resistance heater in a satellite dish can withstand?

The maximum temperature that the wire for a resistance heater in a satellite dish can withstand will depend on the type of wire used. Copper wires can typically withstand temperatures up to 200 degrees Celsius, while nickel wires can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees Celsius. It is important to check the manufacturer's specifications to ensure the wire can withstand the desired temperature.

5. How can you prevent the wire from overheating and causing a fire?

To prevent the wire from overheating and causing a fire, it is important to choose a wire gauge that can handle the amount of current needed for the resistance heater. It is also important to properly insulate the wire and provide proper ventilation to prevent excess heat buildup. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the heater can also help to prevent overheating and potential fire hazards.