Having a hard time with 2 implicit equations

In summary, these three questions are difficult for someone new to calculus and they may need help getting started. If you are a mathematician and can help the person with the first question, please do. If you are able to help with the other two questions, please do.
Braumin
First off, I must say I truly enjoy these forums, though I tend to shy away from Calculus. Calculus and I just don't seem to get along, which is strange since I really enjoy other forms of math.

On to the questions. Note, these 3 are the ones I just can not seem to work through on an assignment for my 3rd Semester in a technology course. I may be working in the right direction here, but I don't feel like I am. Any help would be appreciated.

Question 1, using implicit differentiation only

x[ln(y)]=sin(x+y)

and the other

x[e^y]=tan^-1(xy)

I have tried several attempts at solving these but I seem to get stuck with dy/dx on both sides and no apparent way to solve for them. Any help, even if only the starting step or two, would be most appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you isolate all terms containing dy/dx on one side, you can then factor out dy/dx and solve for it (this works for the first problem, probably for the second one too). A made-up example:

sin(x + y) + x * ln(y) * dy/dx = x^2 + cos(x - y) * dy/dx

<=>

x * ln(y) * dy/dx - cos(x - y) * dy/dx = x^2 - sin(x + y)

<=>

dy/dx * ( x * ln(y) - cos(x - y) ) = x^2 - sin(x + y)

<=>

dy/dx = (x^2 - sin(x + y)) / (x * ln(y) - cos(x - y))

There's nothing wrong with having dy/dx on both sides. Since differentiation is a linear operator it is always easy to solve for dy/dx.

(xln(y))'= ln(y)+ (x/y) dy/dx and sin(x+y)= cos(x+y)(1+ dy/dx) so

ln(y)+ (x/y) dy/dx= cos(x+y)+ cos(x+y)dy/dx
Now collect the terms involving dy/dx on the left:

((x/y)- cos(x+y))dy/dx= cos(x+y)- ln(y) and solve for dy/dx:

dy/dx= (cos(x+y)- ln(y))/((x/y)- cos(x+y))

(Did you post this under "differential equations" because you don't like calculus?)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are implicit equations?

Implicit equations are mathematical expressions that involve multiple variables and do not explicitly define one variable in terms of the others. This means that the equation does not have a clear form of y = f(x), but rather a more complex relationship between the variables.

2. Why is it difficult to work with implicit equations?

Implicit equations can be difficult to work with because they do not have a clear solution for one variable. This means that it may be more challenging to graph or solve the equation compared to explicit equations, which have a defined form of y = f(x).

3. How can I solve an implicit equation?

To solve an implicit equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination to manipulate the equation and find a solution for one of the variables. You can also use graphing or numerical methods to approximate a solution.

4. Can implicit equations be graphed?

Yes, implicit equations can be graphed. However, unlike explicit equations where the y-value is directly dependent on the x-value, the relationship between the variables in an implicit equation may not be as straightforward. This may result in a more complex graph.

5. Are there any real-life applications of implicit equations?

Yes, implicit equations have various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in the ideal gas law is an implicit equation.