Majoring in Physics w/ Limited Math Background: Can I Succeed?

• Thread starter RyanJF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, the undergraduate student is unsure of what they would like to get their bachelor's degree in, and is considering a major in psychology or physiology. However, the student has found that they enjoy physics and may want to pursue that as their bachelor's degree instead. The student is still undecided on their major, but has enrolled in a few introductory classes to get a better idea of what they would need to do to pursue a physics degree.
RyanJF
I'm likely going to be a freshman at Michigan State University this summer, and I have virtually no idea what I'd like to major in. I do plan on attending, or attempting to attend medical school after my undergraduate studies have run their course, but I'm not sure what I'd like to get my bachelor's degree in.

At first, I was considering just majoring in psychology, because at that point in time, I didn't know that psychology was considered to be one of the easiest college degrees. After finding that out, I decided that it may be more worth my while to double-major, with one focus being on psychology, the other on physiology. Psychology, because I'd enjoy it, and physiology, because it'd help fulfill my premed requirements.

I never considered myself to be that much of a math person, but I've found myself growing more and more fond of physics since the beginning of this year, which is the first time I've ever been exposed to the subject. Of course, it's crossed my mind to major in physics instead of psychology and physiology, but I don't know if my math skills are quite up to par.

For example, while I do have a nearly-perfect grade in my physics course right now, I often have to ask a couple of silly clarifying questions in order to make sense of things. I got a bit caught up in an extra credit problem tonight, and spent over an hour trying to figure it out, but to no avail. More like two hours, actually.

I haven't yet taken calculus, although I'm attempting to teach myself with an online class that my school offers through Apex Learning. I only signed up for this yesterday, so I have no idea how likely I am to either succeed or fail at this task.

All in all, I'd very much enjoy majoring in physics, but remain undecided, due to my fear of not being able to handle the math. I find the subject of physics to be fascinating, though I never started to get "in" to science until later last year - before that, it was all literature, political science, and psychology. So it's not like I'm one of those kids who grew up getting off on it.

Would it be possible to succeed as a physics major, with only a limited math background? Can anybody offer me any advice or guidance? It'd be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanJF said:
Would it be possible to succeed as a physics major, with only a limited math background?

In a word, no. However, a standard physics track usually includes/requires a calculus sequence (I, II, III) as well as basically linear algebra which should get you started.

Do you then think that it would be possible for me to get a physics degree, so long as I work through all of the math classes? Like I said, the concepts aren't that hard for me to grasp, and I probably learn faster than most people. I just have this idea of all physics majors being super math whizzes or something, and I have a feeling that if that were the case, I'd probably fall short of my peers.

I’ve found that the further you get in math it’s more about having a true understand of the concepts and less about being good at numerically grinding things. What do you picture a math whiz being?

Oh, you know.

I hate to stereotype, but the image that springs to mind is that of an the Indian kid with glasses, doing complex calculations in his head and figuring out the answers to problems before I can even enter them on my calculator. Not like we have anybody like that in my school, but it's what I think of.

You don't have to love math to major in physics, but you do need to be able to do it. You don't have to declare a physics major right now - why don't you take a few of the intro classes and the required math and see how it goes?

Hi, a physics graduate from Michigan State here. There's no need to know calculus before entering the university. Do you know if they still have you take a math placement test? I started in their pre-calc/trig course which was actually very useful.

Also, you can major in anything you want and still complete your pre-med requirements. I graduated with someone who majored in physics and went to medical school. If thing are still the same, you don't have to officially declare a major until you're a junior so you have time to decide.

1. Can I major in physics with a limited math background?

Yes, it is possible to major in physics with a limited math background. Many universities offer introductory math courses specifically designed for students majoring in physics with limited math experience.

2. Will I struggle in my physics courses without a strong math background?

It is likely that you will face some challenges in your physics courses without a strong math background. However, with determination and hard work, it is possible to succeed. You may need to spend extra time reviewing and practicing mathematical concepts to fully understand them.

3. Are there any prerequisites for majoring in physics with a limited math background?

It depends on the university and specific program requirements. Some universities may require you to take certain math courses before being admitted into the physics program. It is important to research the prerequisites for your desired program before applying.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to students with a stronger math background?

While having a strong math background may give some students an advantage, it is not the only factor that determines success in a physics major. With dedication and hard work, you can overcome any initial disadvantages and excel in your physics courses.

5. How can I prepare for a physics major with a limited math background?

Before starting your physics major, it can be helpful to review and practice basic mathematical concepts such as algebra and trigonometry. You may also want to consider taking an introductory math course specifically designed for physics majors. Additionally, seeking help from professors or tutoring services can greatly benefit your understanding of math concepts in relation to physics.