Understanding Rotations on a Polar Grid | Geometry Explained

• Thread starter mactony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses rotating an image 105 degrees on a polar grid and clarifies whether the bottom half of the grid follows the same angle measurements as the top half. The conclusion is that the polar angle can cover 0 to 360 degrees for a full rotation, but it is also acceptable to have 0 to 180 degrees on the top half and 0 to -180 degrees on the bottom half. This means that when mapping points, the angle can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of rotation.
mactony
Hi,

I'm rotating an image 105 degrees on a polar grid. I know the top half of the polar grid is 0 degrees to 180 degrees, but what about the bottom half? Is it the same as the top 0 degrees to 180 degrees, or does it go all the way to 360 degrees.

Oops, forgot to clarify in case my question is too vague. Ok, let's say I have an image on the top half of the grid which is 0 degrees to 180 degrees. I have to rotate it , and the new figure would end up on the bottom half the grid. Polar grids are shaped like a circle. I have to map the points of the original image and the new image. Would the bottom image points be 180 degrees to 360 degrees or 0 degrees to 180 degrees.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Generally, you would have the polar angle covering 0 to 360 degrees for a full rotation (i.e. it covers both top and bottom) but there is nothing wrong with 0 to 180 (counterclockwise) on the top and 0 to -180 (clockwise) on the bottom starting from the same reference direction (x-axis).

So if I was mapping the points, would it be -75 degrees for example, or would it be over 180 degrees, I am just rotating an image.

1. What is geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, positions, and properties of figures in space.

2. What are the basic concepts in geometry?

The basic concepts in geometry include points, lines, angles, planes, shapes, and measurements such as length, area, and volume.

3. How is geometry used in real life?

Geometry is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, art, and navigation. It helps in designing buildings, creating maps, and understanding the patterns of nature.

4. What are the different types of geometry?

The different types of geometry include Euclidean geometry, which deals with flat shapes and angles, and non-Euclidean geometry, which deals with curved shapes and spaces. Other types include analytical geometry, projective geometry, and differential geometry.

5. How can I improve my geometry skills?

To improve your geometry skills, you can practice solving problems, use visual aids such as diagrams and models, and study the properties and formulas of different shapes. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a geometry class for further guidance.