Excessive exercising? unhealthy?

• Thread starter indoubt
  • Start date
In summary, running a marathon is not unhealthy for the average person, provided they are in good health. However, if you are overweight, you may experience negative side effects like knee and back problems.
indoubt
pretend that i jogg 1 hour every day, is this healthy or unhealthy? i mean does this damage your legs and feet?

Biology news on Phys.org
well.. just to be pedantic, the word "excessive" already implies that it is unhealthy.

I've heard that sprinting can be quite damaging to your joints, but jugging I'm not so sure. Then again, this is probably damage over a decade.. one hour of mild jogging should keep you fit yet minimise damage.

Wear good shoes to absorb the shock. If you can find a padded track or dirt to run on instead of hard pavement, that's better. Or, find a lower impact aerobic exercise than jogging. Jogging can be pretty hard on the knees. 1 hour of aerobic exercise a day isn't excessive, it would be pretty good for you in terms of cardiovascular health, though jogging is one of my least favorite forms of exercise.

so what is the conclusion? right now i jogg 30min each day, but i don't find it very helpful. i don't sweat like before and it does not feel anything at all. this reduces my motivation, that is why i want to increase the time.

indoubt said:
so what is the conclusion? right now i jogg 30min each day, but i don't find it very helpful. i don't sweat like before and it does not feel anything at all. this reduces my motivation, that is why i want to increase the time.
Depending on your goals (if any), more time might not be what you need - faster running (or hills, or some wind sprints) might be what you need. But anyway...

My sister is a marathon runner. She has rough, caloused, blistered feet, but other than that, she's in extrordinary health. The only other side effect is for a girl, you can stop having your period if you work out too much.

The negatives like bad knees, bad back, bad ankles only really apply if you are overweight. If you think running 30 min is too easy, that probably doesn't apply to you. Just make sure you stretch and wear good shoes to avoid shin splints and quad pulls and other similar running-related injuries.

Last edited:

1. What are the potential negative effects of excessive exercising?

Excessive exercising can lead to a variety of negative effects on the body, including increased risk of injury, fatigue, and burnout. It can also put a strain on the heart and other organs, leading to potential long-term health problems.

2. How much exercise is considered excessive?

The amount of exercise that is considered excessive varies for each individual and depends on factors such as age, fitness level, and overall health. However, generally speaking, exercising for more than 1-2 hours per day or pushing the body to its limits without proper rest and recovery can be considered excessive.

3. Can excessive exercising lead to an eating disorder?

Yes, excessive exercising can sometimes be a symptom of an eating disorder, such as anorexia or bulimia. This is because individuals with these disorders often use excessive exercise as a means of purging or burning off calories.

4. How can I tell if I am exercising too much?

If you are experiencing constant fatigue, muscle soreness, or a decrease in performance despite maintaining or increasing your exercise routine, these may be signs that you are exercising too much. It is important to listen to your body and take breaks when needed.

5. Is it possible to be addicted to exercise?

Yes, it is possible for some individuals to become addicted to exercise, also known as exercise addiction or compulsive exercise disorder. This can have negative impacts on physical and mental health and may require professional help to overcome.