Purcell - Electricity and Magnetism

In summary, the conversation is about purchasing a hardcover edition of the book "Electricity and Magnetism" from 1985. The book is still used at some schools, but is not available in their online bookstores. It is also listed on Amazon for a high price. The speaker suggests using a website called allbookstores.com to search for used copies at a lower price. They also mention that any edition after 1984 should be fine.
intwo
Does anyone know where I can purchase the hardcover 1985 Electricity and Magnetism? Some schools, such as Caltech and MIT, still use the book; however, Caltech does not have it in their online bookstore and MIT lists an 09 edition (which I assume is an ebook?).

Some copies are floating around on Amazon for around $400, but that's out of my budget.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I allways look at:

www.allbookstores.com

for used books. It searches a gazillion online retailers. Note that the 2nd edition of Purcell came out in 1984, so any edition after that is just a reprint and should be fine. I suspect you will find copies for << $400.

Good luck,

jason

What is Electricity and Magnetism?

Electricity and Magnetism are two fundamental forces of nature that are closely related to each other. Electricity deals with the flow of electric charge, while Magnetism deals with the behavior of magnetic fields.

Who is credited with discovering the relationship between Electricity and Magnetism?

The relationship between Electricity and Magnetism was first discovered by the scientist William Gilbert in the 16th century. However, it was not until the 19th century that James Clerk Maxwell developed a unified theory of electromagnetism.

What is the difference between Static Electricity and Current Electricity?

Static Electricity is the buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object, while Current Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. Static Electricity is usually generated by friction, while Current Electricity is commonly used to power electrical devices.

What are the main laws of Electricity and Magnetism?

The main laws of Electricity and Magnetism are Coulomb's Law, which describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles, and Ampere's Law, which relates the magnetic field to the electric current that produces it. Other important laws include Ohm's Law, Faraday's Law, and Lenz's Law.

How are Electricity and Magnetism used in everyday life?

Electricity and Magnetism have a wide range of applications in our daily lives. Some common uses include generating electricity, powering electronic devices, and in medical imaging technologies such as MRI machines. They are also used in transportation systems, communication technologies, and many other fields.