Wow, I don't know if I should laugh or feel sorry for these people

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, this student's classmates were frustrated because his grades were consistently high and he didn't seem to be doing anything wrong. However, when the grades were released, it was revealed that he had cheated on one of the tests.
flyingpig
I hope this isn't the wrong place to post this. This was a few months old, but I found this in an archive of news

http://www.dailybruin.com/index.php/article/2010/05/students-decry-poor-grades-engineering-class

Has this every happened to guys? Class average was 16.8%, that's not even a F

Physics news on Phys.org
My brother's friend was in third year electrical engineering course and the class average on the mid term was approximately 6%. It involved one question that took over 20 pages of paper to solve. So clearly everyone messed up at the beginning only slightly and their entire calculation was wrong.

Sometimes I find it hard to see that more than 80% out of almost 90 4th year electrical engineering students fail a class. I mean, these students are clearly competent, and the fact that over 50% failed... I don't know. I saw the other thread a while back with lots of people here saying that it was good that the kid with the disputed (chemistry if I remember correctly) test grade was being treated fairly or that the situation was created to benefit him in the future.

Dunno, this is pretty nuts and I don't have any experience or any solid opinion one way or another.

hadsed said:
Sometimes I find it hard to see that more than 80% out of almost 90 4th year electrical engineering students fail a class. I mean, these students are clearly competent, and the fact that over 50% failed... I don't know. I saw the other thread a while back with lots of people here saying that it was good that the kid with the disputed (chemistry if I remember correctly) test grade was being treated fairly or that the situation was created to benefit him in the future.

Dunno, this is pretty nuts and I don't have any experience or any solid opinion one way or another.

That kid was me! It resolved itself, at least in my section...

flyingpig said:
I hope this isn't the wrong place to post this. This was a few months old, but I found this in an archive of news

http://www.dailybruin.com/index.php/article/2010/05/students-decry-poor-grades-engineering-class

Has this every happened to guys? Class average was 16.8%, that's not even a F

One of my friends had a PChem class that had consistent exams of ~30% averages. His scores were also close to 30% and he thought he was going to fail and never be able to pass it. At the end of the semester, the curve was so much that he and many others ended up with a C. The professor, late in the course, admitted that the only reason he wasn't curving the tests for the whole semester was because one kid in the class was getting 80%'s on the tests.

What does it mean when someone says, "Wow, I don't know if I should laugh or feel sorry for these people"?

This phrase is often used to express conflicting emotions towards a situation or group of people. It implies that the person is unsure whether to find the situation humorous or feel sympathetic towards those involved.

Why do people use this phrase?

People may use this phrase as a way to express their confusion or mixed feelings about a situation. It can also be used to express empathy towards those involved while still finding some humor in the situation.

Is it appropriate to use this phrase?

It depends on the context and the audience. This phrase can be seen as insensitive or offensive in certain situations, so it is important to use it carefully and consider the feelings of others before using it.

What are some examples of situations in which this phrase might be used?

This phrase can be used in a variety of situations, such as when witnessing a funny but unfortunate event, when watching a comedy that also has some emotional moments, or when observing a group of people who are making questionable decisions.

How can I respond if someone says this phrase?

You can respond by acknowledging the conflicting emotions and asking the person how they feel about the situation. You can also simply share your own feelings about the situation and try to find a balance between laughing and feeling sorry for those involved.