Temperature Control of Steel Rods in Experimentation

In summary: Electrical heating might be a good option, however you would need to monitor the temperature to ensure it stayed within a desired range.
jangheej
I'm trying to control the temperature of a wire/steel rod in my experiment. (of various size from a simple wire to a steel rod of diameter 5mm)

In my preliminary experiment, I simply heated with alcohol lamp.
But I'm not so sure which equation to use and if Q=cmT is the right equation, how I could calculate the value Q.

I want to construct an experiment setting (with equipments available in high school level) so that I could alter the temperature of the wire as I wish.
Can you suggest some ideas??

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think that equation is quite what you're looking for.

Next to using some sort of thermometer, I don't think there's an easy way to control the temperature of a metal rod.

From what you've written, it seems you are just holding the rod over a flame and so temperature control isn't a realistic option without some from of thermometer.

The way I conducted a similar style setup in university was to use an oven at pre-set temperatures to get the rod to the required temperature. That is the only way we could accurately control it.

There is too little information to answer this. A few questions (and it's easy to think of more)...

What temperature range are you interested it?
Do you want to heat the rod or wire but leave the rest of the apparatus at room temperature, or is it OK to heat everything
Does the rod/wire have to be in air when it is heated, or would it be OK in a tank of water, or oil?
Does it have to be at a uniform temperature along its length and a constant temperature over time?

You probably have two sub-problems here: (1) heating the rod and (2) measuring its temperature.

http://www.heatersplus.com/nichrome.htm

Nichrome is very useful for this, and it can be 'heated' electrically. If you want a well controlled temperature, you'd need to add some sort of temp sensor and feed this back to your electronic circuit. Make sure you understand electrical safety issues.

I don't know how accurately it can be regulated, but induction heating might be applicable.

1. What is the purpose of controlling the temperature of steel rods in experimentation?

The purpose of controlling the temperature of steel rods in experimentation is to study the effects of temperature on the physical and chemical properties of steel. This can help in understanding the behavior of steel in different environments and applications.

2. How is the temperature of steel rods controlled in experiments?

The temperature of steel rods can be controlled in experiments using various methods such as heating or cooling chambers, water baths, or temperature-controlled ovens. These methods allow for precise and consistent temperature control during the experiment.

3. What factors can affect the temperature of steel rods in experimentation?

Some factors that can affect the temperature of steel rods in experimentation include the ambient temperature, the type and thickness of the steel rod, the heating or cooling method used, and the duration of the experiment. It is important to control these factors to ensure accurate and reliable results.

4. What are the potential risks of not properly controlling the temperature of steel rods in experimentation?

If the temperature of steel rods is not properly controlled in experimentation, it can lead to inaccurate results. This can affect the validity and reliability of the experiment and may result in incorrect conclusions. In addition, high temperatures can also pose safety hazards, such as burns or fire, if not handled carefully.

5. How can the temperature control of steel rods in experimentation be validated?

The temperature control of steel rods in experimentation can be validated by using multiple temperature sensors to monitor the temperature at different points on the rod. This ensures that the temperature is consistent throughout the rod and helps to confirm the accuracy of the results. Additionally, conducting control experiments with known temperature parameters can also validate the temperature control system.