Mastering Trig Identities: Strategies & Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses the best strategies for mastering trigonometric identities. It is suggested to learn and memorize the most essential identities and to practice proving them frequently. The conversation also mentions the importance of continuous studying and not ignoring the identities after a few days. The individual has been studying and memorizing various identities, but is unsure if there are more that should be learned. The conversation then delves into specific identities, including sin, cos, tan, cosec, sec, cot, and their reciprocals, as well as the Pythagorean identity. The individual also asks about the use of "x" and "y" in parenthesis in the sine addition formula.
Miike012

Homework Statement

I have been practicing proving trig. ident. for the past couple of days... although I am getting better... I wanted to ask are there any strategies that I should be aware of to make the process easier ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Learn which ones are most essential, and memorize them and practice proving them. Also, unfortunately, you may need to study Trigonometric identities more than 3 times, unless you are just gifted with this; but apparently you've not found yourself to be. Just work at it longer and more frequently. Just studying trigonometry identities for a few days and then ignoring them from after that will not be enough.

symbolipoint said:
Learn which ones are most essential, and memorize them and practice proving them. Also, unfortunately, you may need to study Trigonometric identities more than 3 times, unless you are just gifted with this; but apparently you've not found yourself to be. Just work at it longer and more frequently. Just studying trigonometry identities for a few days and then ignoring them from after that will not be enough.

Ive been studying the trig identities for the past three days... I've memorized sin, cos, tan, cosec, sec, and cot, and their reciprocal. And tan = sin/cos and cot = cos/sin
and sin^2 + cos^2 = 1
and sec^2 = 1 + tan
and cosec^2 = i + cot...

I know many of them... are there more I should memorize...?

Hmm interesting... havnt seen those ones yet. So I understand... what are the "x" and "y" in parenthesis?

sin(x+y) = SinxCosy + CosxSiny

they're angles :smile:

(later, you'll find that sin and cos, particularly, turn up all over the place, not just in geometry, so its quite usual to see sinx or sint :wink:)

1. What are the most important trig identities to master?

The most important trig identities to master are the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, sum and difference identities, and reciprocal identities. These identities serve as the foundation for more complex trigonometric equations and can be used to simplify and solve a variety of problems.

2. How can I remember all the trig identities?

One helpful strategy is to create a cheat sheet or reference guide that lists all the identities and their corresponding formulas. You can also practice applying the identities in different types of problems to solidify your understanding and memory.

3. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving trig identities?

Yes, there are several strategies and tricks that can make solving trig identities easier. One helpful tip is to try rewriting the equation in terms of sine and cosine, as these functions are closely related and can often be substituted for each other. Another trick is to look for patterns and symmetry in the equation to help identify which identity to use.

4. How can I check my work when solving trig identities?

It is important to use algebraic manipulation and substitution of known identities to check your work when solving trig identities. You can also use online calculators or graphing tools to verify your solutions.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when mastering trig identities?

One common mistake is to confuse similar-looking identities or to use the wrong formula for a given problem. Make sure to carefully read and understand the problem before applying an identity. Another mistake is to forget to account for negative signs or fractions, which can drastically change the solution. Remember to always double check your work and be mindful of any potential errors.