Why Do Eddy Currents Form Circular Loops?

In summary: When time-varying magnetic field is applied to electrical machines like transformers, a time-varying emf is induced in the transformer cores(i get this). A SHORT CIRCUIT OCCURS AT THE MOLECULAR LEVEL IN THE CORE(this, i don't quiet understand)."In summary, the eddy currents that are generated in an unlaminated iron core of a transformer have a complex shape that spirals. These eddy currents are negligible compared to macroscopic areas.
Pranav Jha
i know i haven't understood the concept of eddy current and that is why i am posting this question:
why are EDDY currents CIRCULAR (why form a loop in circular form)?

please also explain this answer that statement that i found on : http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_eddy_current
"When time-varying magnetic field is applied to electrical machines like transformers, a time-varying emf is induced in the transformer cores(i get this). A SHORT CIRCUIT OCCURS AT THE MOLECULAR LEVEL IN THE CORE(this, i don't quiet understand)"

Engineering news on Phys.org
The actual shape of the eddy currents depends on the structure and geometry of the system that is generating them,and can be found by the application of Lenz's law and or by applying the Lorentz force equation.

Dadface said:
The actual shape of the eddy currents depends on the structure and geometry of the system that is generating them,and can be found by the application of Lenz's law and or by applying the Lorentz force equation.

what confuses me is most sources state the eddy currents being circular.

Pranav Jha said:
what confuses me is most sources state the eddy currents being circular.

I have a vague memory of hearing that sort of statement before and I think it was in connection with the eddy currents that would be generated in the iron core of a transformer if it were solid rather than laminated.Hopefully someone will come in and elaborate on these circular currents but in the meantime a little bit of research is needed.

Pranav,I now think that the relevant word I recall is "circulating".Although this can mean moving in a circle it can also mean,in the context of your question,moving through a circuit and returning to the starting point.Having thought about this briefly my first impression is that the eddy currents in an unlaminated core have a complex shape which spirals.

Pranav Jha said:
i know i haven't understood the concept of eddy current and that is why i am posting this question:
why are EDDY currents CIRCULAR (why form a loop in circular form)?

please also explain this answer that statement that i found on : http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_eddy_current
"When time-varying magnetic field is applied to electrical machines like transformers, a time-varying emf is induced in the transformer cores(i get this). A SHORT CIRCUIT OCCURS AT THE MOLECULAR LEVEL IN THE CORE(this, i don't quiet understand)"
To adequately explain this, and the need for laminations, we have to go back to Faraday's Law, in integral form:

[tex]

\oint_C\bold{E\cdot}d\bold{\ell} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_S \bold{B\cdot n}\;\;dS

[/tex]

The path on the left side is the perimeter of the surface (area) on the right side. The area need not be a circle. The magnetic flux in the area on the right creates a voltage in the circumference on the left. Let's consider a square area. The area, or the induced voltage, is proportional to L2, where L is the length of a side. The perimeter of the square is 4L. So the voltage per unit path length (E or electric field) is 4L/L2, or 4/L. So the induced electric field, and the resultant eddy current at the molecular level is negligible compared to macroscopic areas.

A standard 60 Hz transformer gets about 0.25 volts per square inch of iron area. The electric field around the perimeter is about 0.25/4 = 0.06 volts per inch. If the area was a micro-inch on a side, the electric field would be 60 nano-volts per inch. The voltages, electric fields, and eddy currents on a molecular scale are negligible.

Bob S

1. What are eddy currents and how do they form circular loops?

Eddy currents are swirling currents that are induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. They form circular loops because the changing magnetic field causes the electrons in the conductor to move in a circular motion, creating a circular flow of current.

2. What causes eddy currents to form?

Eddy currents are formed by the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction. When a conductor is exposed to a changing magnetic field, it causes the electrons in the conductor to move, thus creating eddy currents.

3. Why do eddy currents form circular loops instead of straight lines?

Eddy currents form circular loops because of the direction of the changing magnetic field. When the magnetic field changes, it induces a force on the electrons in the conductor, causing them to move in a circular motion rather than a straight line.

4. What are the applications of eddy currents?

Eddy currents have various applications in industries such as metal detection, induction heating, and electromagnetic braking. They are also used in non-destructive testing to detect flaws or defects in metal objects.

5. How can the effects of eddy currents be minimized?

The effects of eddy currents can be minimized by using materials with low electrical conductivity, such as laminated or insulated materials. Additionally, the use of magnetic shielding can reduce the strength of the changing magnetic field and thus decrease the formation of eddy currents.