Calculating Maximum Height of a Rock Thrown Vertically Upward

In summary, a 0.26 kg rock is thrown vertically upward from the top of a cliff that is 30 m high and when it hits the ground at the base of the cliff, it has a speed of 25 m/s. Using the equation Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf, the initial speed of the rock was found to be 6.0 m/s. For part (b), the final velocity should equal 0 because the rock is on the ground, and using the equation v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(delta)x, the acceleration due to gravity was found to be -9.81 and the height was found to be 32 m. However, if the rock is thrown vertically
Hughey85
A 0.26 kg rock is thrown vertically upward from the top of a cliff that is 30 m high. When it hits the ground at the base of the cliff the rock has a speed of 25 m/s.

(a) Assuming that air resistance can be ignored, find the initial speed of the rock.

(b) Find the greatest height of the rock as measured from the base of the cliff.

I got part (a) to be 6.0 m/s, but do not know how to get part (b). If I know both velocities, what equation should I use to find max height? Thank you! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work.

Hint #1 for part (a): Consider the motion of the ball upwards from the projection point and back to it. Does it tell you something about the velocity of the ball as it comes back to the projection point? Is the motion symmetric?

Hint for part (b): Do you know kinematic equations involving distances and velocities? How many different kinds are available? What information do you have or don't have?

Is the velocity of the ball when it reaches the ground greater than, less than or equal to the projection velocity?

For part (a) I used Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf ...which gave me

mgy1 + .5mvi^2 = mgyf +.5mvf^2

I Then solved for vi

For part (b) I'm not sure what equation to use. I was thinking to use this one:

v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(delta)x

the final velocity should equal 0 right? because the rock is on the ground. What is the acceleration, a , though? Without, a , I cannot find x.

Nevermind...(a) would equal -9.81 because its the acceleration due to gravity. I solved for x, but then I noticed I had to add on the 30 m. of the cliff. I came up with 32 m. Thanks a lot for the help!

Being that they gave you .26 kg as the mass of the rock, and this value is not needed in the computation, it implies that this book or teacher likes to throw trick questions at you. So... There might be another trick in this question. If the rock is thrown vertically from the top of the cliff, it's not going to drop to the base of the cliff. It's going to drop to the top of the cliff, exactly where it was thrown. It may bounce or roll from that point and go over the cliff, in which case velocity initial would = 0 for the second part of the problem. But if you want it to hit the base of the cliff from the top of the cliff, you have to throw it at an angle that is not equal to vertical.

1. How do you calculate the maximum height of a rock thrown vertically upward?

The maximum height of a rock thrown vertically upward can be calculated using the formula h = (u^2 sin^2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, u is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the initial velocity?

The initial velocity is the velocity at which the rock is thrown upward. It can be measured in meters per second (m/s).

3. How do you find the angle of projection?

The angle of projection can be found by measuring the angle between the initial velocity and the horizontal plane. This angle can also be calculated using trigonometric functions.

4. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2 which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the earth's surface due to gravity.

5. Can this formula be used for any object thrown vertically upward?

Yes, this formula can be used for any object thrown vertically upward as long as the initial velocity and angle of projection are known and the object is not affected by air resistance.