Find LU-Factorization of Matrix A: Restrictions & Help

In summary, the LY-factorization of the matrix A is given by L = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ c/a & 1 \\ \end{bmatrix} and U = \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ 0 & d - bc/a \\ \end{bmatrix}. The restriction on the matrix A is that the product of its first and second row elements, c and a, must be equal. Additionally, the second row, second column element of U must not be zero in order for the product of L and U to yield the original matrix A. This requirement can be written as d - bc/a <> 0.
drestupinblac
Q: Find the LY-factorization of the matrix
[itex]
A = \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \\ \end{bmatrix}
[/itex] that has 1's along the main diagonal of L. Are there any restrictions on the matrix A?

My attempt at an answer:

[itex]
L = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ e & 1 \\ \end{bmatrix}
U = \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ 0 & -eb + d \\ \end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

restriction: ae (where e is some real number) must equal c.

I am just starting out in linear algebra and am probably completely off but I can't think
of another way to approach this question. Please help or tell me if I'm on the right tack.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Oops, instead of "LY" I meant to put "LU"

anyone? or if the question doesn't make sense, can you please tell me so I can re-phrase?

I would replace "e" for what it needs to be, ie, "c/a".

Once done, you can now state a needed condition of matrix "A", specifically a condition of its element "a" for this solution to be valid.

Also, if you multiply L and U together again, you need to have the product yield the original matrix A again. Show this multiplication. Thus, take a look at the 2,2 element of U. You probrably don't want that to be zero or else the product will not be consistant with A. Rearranging element U(2,2) <> 0 will yield a familiar requirement.

Question 1: What is LU-factorization of a matrix and why is it important?

LU-factorization is a method for representing a square matrix as the product of a lower triangular matrix (L) and an upper triangular matrix (U). It is important because it allows for more efficient computation of matrix operations and can also reveal important properties of the matrix.

Question 2: What are the restrictions for finding the LU-factorization of a matrix?

The matrix must be a square matrix, meaning it has an equal number of rows and columns. Additionally, the matrix must have linearly independent columns, meaning that none of the columns can be expressed as a linear combination of the other columns.

Question 3: How do I find the LU-factorization of a matrix?

There are several methods for finding the LU-factorization of a matrix, including Gaussian elimination, Doolittle's method, and Crout's method. These methods involve using elementary row operations to transform the matrix into an upper triangular form and then extracting the necessary components to create the L and U matrices.

Question 4: Can LU-factorization be performed on any type of matrix?

No, LU-factorization can only be performed on square matrices that meet the restrictions mentioned earlier. However, there are other factorization methods that can be used for non-square matrices, such as QR-factorization.

Question 5: What resources are available for help with finding the LU-factorization of a matrix?

There are many online resources, such as tutorials and videos, that can provide step-by-step instructions for finding the LU-factorization of a matrix. Additionally, there are software programs and calculators that can perform the calculation for you. If you are still struggling, you can also seek help from a math tutor or instructor.