Metric Tensor Questions: Understanding Hartle's "Gravity" Example 7.2

In summary, the metric of a sphere at the north pole can be expressed as dS^{2}=a^{2}(d\theta^{2}+sin^{2}\theta d\phi ^{2}) in (\theta , \phi ) coordinates. However, at the north pole, the metric does not look like a flat space. By using coordinate transformations and rewriting \theta and \phi, we can find d\theta and d\phi and plug them into the line element to obtain a 2x2 matrix. To find d\theta and d\phi, we use the expressions \theta=1/a \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} and \phi = tan^{-1}(\frac{
narfarnst
Hi. This is example 7.2 from Hartle's "Gravity" if you happen to have it lying around.

Metric of a sphere at the north pole
The line element of a sphere (with radius a) is [tex]dS^{2}=a^{2}(d\theta^{2}+sin^{2}\theta d\phi ^{2})[/tex]
(In [tex](\theta , \phi )[/tex] coordinates).
At the north pole [tex]\theta = 0[/tex] and at the N. pole, the metric doesn't look like a flat space, dS2=dx2+dy2.
Using the coordinate transformations: [tex]x= a(\theta cos \phi , y= a \theta sin \phi [/tex] show that the metric [tex]g_{\alpha\beta} = (1-2y^{2}/(3a^{2}) | 2xy/(3a^{2}, 2xy/(3a^{2}) | 1-2x^{2}/(3a^{2}) ) [/tex]

Where [tex]g_{\alpha\beta}[/tex] is suppose to be a 2x2 matrix.

The book tells you that you rewrite [tex]\theta=1/a \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} , \phi = tan^{-1}(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]
And then use taylor series to expand and keep the first few terms. But it doesn't show the work.

I get the idea, but I'm not sure how the math works out.
So what I'd want to do is, from [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex], find [tex]d\theta[/tex] and [tex]d\phi[/tex], and then plug them into the line element.
But I have two questions.
1. How do I find [tex]d\theta[/tex] and [tex]d\phi[/tex].
2. How do I go from that line element to a 2x2 matrix? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1., you want to use

[tex]
\theta=1/a \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} , \phi = tan^{-1}(\frac{y}{x})
[/tex]

to write

[tex]d\theta = \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y} dy,[/tex]

with an analogous expression for [tex]d\phi[/tex]. This will give you a 2x2 system of equations that you can solve for [tex]dx,dy[/tex] to rewrite the line element.

For 2, note that

[tex]
dS^{2}=a^{2}(d\theta^{2}+sin^{2}\theta d\phi ^{2}) = \begin{pmatrix} d\theta & d\phi \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} a^2 & 0 \\ 0 & a^2 \sin^2\theta \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} d\theta \\ d\phi \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

If you go through the trouble to express the results of part 1 in vector form, it might make computing the metric a bit faster.

1. What is a metric tensor?

A metric tensor is a mathematical object used in the field of differential geometry to measure distances and angles in curved spaces. It is a generalization of the concept of a Euclidean metric, which measures distances in flat spaces.

2. How is a metric tensor used in physics?

In physics, the metric tensor is used to describe the geometry of space and time in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is a key component in the mathematical formulation of the theory, linking the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy.

3. What is the difference between a metric tensor and a metric?

A metric tensor is a mathematical object that describes the metric of a space, while a metric is a function that assigns a numerical value to each point in a space. In other words, the metric tensor provides the mathematical framework for the metric to be calculated.

4. How is the metric tensor related to the Riemann curvature tensor?

The Riemann curvature tensor is a measure of the curvature of a space, and it is directly related to the metric tensor. In fact, the components of the Riemann curvature tensor can be calculated from the derivatives of the metric tensor, making it a very useful tool in the study of curved spaces.

5. Can the metric tensor be used in any space?

Yes, the metric tensor can be used in any space, regardless of its curvature. It is a versatile mathematical object that can be applied to both flat and curved spaces, making it a fundamental tool in many areas of mathematics and physics.