How Can I Self-Study Dynamic Systems?

In summary, the person is interested in self-studying dynamic systems and asks for recommendations on books, articles, and subjects to start with. The responder suggests starting with the level of physics/dynamics the person has and then recommends the textbook "System Dynamics" by Palm which includes examples on building MATLAB programs to solve problems numerically.
Kiana
Hi guys,

I'm a pure math master degree. Interested in studying dynamic systems, I want to learn more about this subject without any academic course.(just self study)

How can I start it? Which books , articles and subjects?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends, what level of physics/dynamics do you have? Maybe we can start there. After that the easiest place to start is spring vibrational mechanics, you probably should've solved that in any applied differential equations (Applied ODE/PDE) course (If you took any).

"System Dynamics" by Palm is a good resource. It's the textbook I used. It's really good with lots of examples on how to build MATLAB programs to solve things numerically.

1. What is a dynamic system?

A dynamic system is a system that changes over time in response to internal and external influences. It can be described mathematically using equations and can have multiple variables that interact with each other.

2. Why is it important to study basic dynamics in systems?

Understanding basic dynamics in systems allows us to predict how a system will behave and how it will respond to different inputs or disturbances. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, economics, and ecology.

3. What are some common applications of basic dynamics in systems?

Basic dynamics in systems can be applied to a wide range of fields, including control systems, population dynamics, climate modeling, and financial forecasting. It is also used in the design and analysis of mechanical and electrical systems.

4. What are some techniques used to analyze basic dynamics in systems?

Some common techniques used to analyze basic dynamics in systems include stability analysis, phase plane analysis, and bifurcation analysis. These techniques involve studying the behavior of a system over time and identifying any critical points or changes in behavior.

5. Can basic dynamics in systems be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, basic dynamics in systems can be applied to real-world situations. In fact, many real-world systems can be described and analyzed using basic dynamic principles. This allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems in the real world.