How is the Relative Angle Between Two Polarizers Determined?

• Thread starter tica86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the intensity of light coming out of the second polarizer is dependent on the angle between the two polarizers. With a relative angle of 45 degrees, the intensity of light is reduced to 1/4 of the original intensity, as described by the equation I=I0cos^2theta.
tica86
A beam of unpolarized light, with intensity I0, goes through two polarizers. If the intensity of the light coming out of the second polarizer is 1/4 I0 what is the relative angle between the two polarizers??

----I know the answer is 45 degrees---
but if anyone could explain how?? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

tica86 said:
A beam of unpolarized light, with intensity I0, goes through two polarizers. If the intensity of the light coming out of the second polarizer is 1/4 I0 what is the relative angle between the two polarizers??

----I know the answer is 45 degrees---
but if anyone could explain how?? Thanks!

Can you post the Relevant Equations? Is it a linear relationship between crossed polarizers and intensity, or does it follow a different relationship?

berkeman said:
can you post the relevant equations? Is it a linear relationship between crossed polarizers and intensity, or does it follow a different relationship?

i1=1/2i0
i2=1/4i0

tica86 said:
i1=1/2i0
i2=1/4i0

Well okay then. We're all done here. That makes everything obvious. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Well okay then. We're all done here. That makes everything obvious. Thanks.

I=I0cos^2theta

What is a polarizer and how does it work?

A polarizer is an optical filter that allows only light waves vibrating in a specific direction to pass through, while blocking light waves vibrating in all other directions. It works by using a special material, typically a stretched polymer film, that only allows light waves with a certain orientation to pass through it.

What is the purpose of using polarizers in homework assignments?

Polarizers are commonly used in homework assignments to help students understand the principles of light and optics. They are often used in experiments to demonstrate the effects of polarized light and how it can be manipulated using polarizers.

How do polarizers affect the intensity of light?

Polarizers can either block or pass light waves, depending on the orientation of the polarizer and the direction of the light waves. When the polarizer and light waves are aligned, the intensity of the light passing through is maximized. However, when they are perpendicular, the intensity of the light passing through is reduced.

How can polarizers be used to reduce glare?

Polarizers are commonly used to reduce glare from reflective surfaces, such as water or glass. By filtering out light waves that are vibrating in certain directions, polarizers can effectively reduce the amount of reflected light that reaches our eyes, making the surface appear less shiny and easier to see through.

What are some real-world applications of polarizers?

Polarizers have a wide range of applications in various industries, including photography, cinematography, LCD screens, and 3D glasses. They are also used in various scientific instruments, such as polarimeters and polariscopes, to measure and analyze the properties of polarized light.