Calculating Current for Two-port Resistor Network

In summary, the current in the load resistor is 5 times as much as the current coming in from the dc supply.
stevenytc

Homework Statement

A network of resistors has a pair of input terminals AB connected to a dc supply and a pair of output terminals CD connected to a load resistor of 120 ohm. The resistances of the network are AC=BD =180 ohm, and AD=BC=80 ohm. Find the ratio of the current in the load resistor to that taken from the supply.

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to figure out a model network having the same resistance describe in the question but failed. Several other attempts are also in vain. The model answer is 5.

Physics news on Phys.org
The difficulty is in how the question is asked.

If it was drawn like this, could you solve it?

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/bridge2.bmp

Assume a voltage that suits you and then work out the currents for that voltage.

You only need the ratio between currents, so this is unaffected by the voltage you choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for your idea, vk6kro.

But are you sure the network you draw satisfies the condition given in the question?

Consider the equivalent resistance across AD ( with the 120 ohm resistor disconnected) , it isn't simply equal to 80 ohms, because there is a second branch ( consist of the other three resistors ).

Or have I missed out something... ?

Thanks anyway for your precious time and effort.

Regards
Steven

I hadn't thought of those as being the equivalent resistances with the other resistors in parallel. That would be vicious.

Fortunately the person who wrote the question didn't either, because using the above diagram I get 5 times as much current coming out of the battery as flows in the 120 ohm resistor.
83.3 mA from the battery and 16.6 mA in the 120 ohm resistor.

This was the answer you were supposed to get.

Okay, so seems that I've misunderstood the question...

Just curious, what if I change the question so that the resistances in the question refers to equivalent resistance? How can I solve this more complicated problem? Or, is it solvable?

Thanks very much, your reply is very helpful.

I don't know if you could always solve it if the problem was meant the other way.

I suspect you could get multiple possible answers even if you could solve it.

I think 100% of teachers are genuinely trying to help their students and you would never get a question like that.

1. What is a two-port resistor network?

A two-port resistor network is a circuit that has two input ports and two output ports, with resistors connected in between. This type of network is commonly used in electronics to control the flow of current and voltage.

2. How do I calculate the total current for a two-port resistor network?

To calculate the total current for a two-port resistor network, you need to use Ohm's Law. First, calculate the total resistance of the network by adding up the resistances of each individual resistor. Then, divide the voltage across the network by the total resistance to find the total current.

3. Can I use Kirchhoff's Laws to calculate current in a two-port resistor network?

Yes, you can use Kirchhoff's Laws to calculate current in a two-port resistor network. Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the total current entering a node must be equal to the total current leaving the node, and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must be equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

4. How do I calculate the current through a specific resistor in a two-port network?

To calculate the current through a specific resistor in a two-port network, you can use either Ohm's Law or Kirchhoff's Laws. If the resistor is in series with other resistors, you can use Ohm's Law to find the current. If the resistor is in a closed loop, you can use Kirchhoff's Laws to find the current.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of current calculations in a two-port resistor network?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of current calculations in a two-port resistor network include the tolerance of the resistors, the precision of the measuring equipment, and any external factors that may impact the circuit, such as temperature or humidity. It is important to use high-quality components and properly calibrate equipment to ensure accurate calculations.