What's a good, affordable telescope for someone who's never owned one

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, a good, affordable telescope for someone who's never owned one is the Meade 6" Newtonian reflector. It's been a while since I looked at purchasing one, I've had a 4.5" reflector for almost 20 years now. Meade, have a few additional lens and filters, plus a solar filter. Took some decent photos of both a lunar and solar eclipse.
1MileCrash
What's a good, affordable telescope for someone who's never owned one, and just likes the sky?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Its been a while since I looked at purchasing one, I've had a 4.5" reflector for almost 20 years now. Meade, have a few additional lens and filters, plus a solar filter. Took some decent photos of both a lunar and solar eclipse.

Would this be for a child, or an adult?

It would be for me. And I'm 21, so it would be for a child. :P

I think it depends a lot where you are. You can find a really nice one on craigslist for a fraction of the price. Just make sure it's in proper condition and that you bring a gun to the person's house just in case.

1MileCrash said:
It would be for me. And I'm 21, so it would be for a child. :P

But not a 9 year old child. Was asking if someone who would understand how to handle one with care and such. Course some adults may not know either, but anyways.

Better question may be what is your budget? A new Meade 6" Newtonian reflector is about $700.

My rules in nutshell:

Do NOT mind the claims on the box about magnification. Magnification is bogus.
The number one factor in a telescope is diameter of lens.
Plan to spend no less than $250 (if it were new). Less than that will get you junk.
Be wary of used. Scopes can suffer from abuse that's hard to spot.

This http://www.astronomics.com/main/product.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/category_name/0H0G4CMPXQRN9HD6SNP5ES9TU7/product_id/TOA150" [Broken] is pretty nice.

If you want a good answer, you're going to have to give us more information. Do you want something big, something portable, good DSO's or bright objects, tracking, go-to, budget, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topher925 is right! We need some more information about your intentions are in order to suggest a good telescope for you. If you're not sure what your intentions are yet, you should find a local astronomy club and hang out with them a bit. Many clubs even have a few 'scopes that can be lent out to new members, so you can try a few before you make a commitment.

If you're looking to do some "window shopping," here are some instruments that I think would each make a great general introduction to the hobby.

A classic "10x50" binocular is a cheap and intuitive way to get into the hobby. This is a handy size for all kinds of other uses, and doesn't require a tripod. You can see many deep sky objects, including a few nearby galaxies and tons of beautiful star clusters. They are also great for the Moon.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=140 [Broken]

Orion's ShorTube 80 is small, very portable 'scope. It has a big, wide field, shows you lots of stars, and makes learning the sky easier than many other 'scopes. It's great for planets, and shows you a much larger variety of galaxies than the binos. You can buy it with the tripod, or separately to use with a tripod you already own.

http://www.telescope.com/Orion-Shor...Telescope/p/24688.uts?keyword=orion shorttube

If you want get into galaxy hunting, a 6" or 8" Dobsonian-mounted Newtonian reflector is a great place to start. This design is much less portable than the first two I mentioned, and takes up a closet. They make up for it with the wealth of objects you can see. These are great jack-of-all-trades telescopes, and are capable of some amazing sights. There are many different models from different manufacturers, with a few neat twists here and there.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=107&ProdID=662 [Broken]
http://www.telescope.com/Orion-Buil...onian-Telescope/p/99182.uts?keyword=dobsonian

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the key features to look for in a good, affordable telescope?

When searching for a good, affordable telescope, there are a few key features to consider. First, the aperture size is important as it determines the amount of light the telescope can gather and therefore its ability to produce clear and detailed images. A larger aperture size is generally better, but also increases the cost. Second, the telescope's focal length, or the distance from the lens/mirror to the focal point, affects its magnifying power. A longer focal length results in higher magnification, but again, comes at a higher cost. Lastly, consider the type of mount the telescope has, as this affects its stability and ease of use.

2. What is a good price range for a first-time telescope buyer?

The price range for a good, affordable telescope can vary greatly depending on the features and quality. However, for a first-time buyer, a budget of $200-$500 is a good starting point. This price range can provide a decent telescope with enough features for beginners to explore the night sky.

3. Can I get a good telescope for under $200?

While it is possible to find a telescope under $200, it may not have all the features and quality of a more expensive one. However, there are some decent options available in this price range, especially for children or beginners. Keep in mind that investing a bit more money may result in a better overall experience and longer-lasting telescope.

4. Are there any recommended brands or models for a first-time telescope buyer?

There are many reputable brands and models available for first-time telescope buyers. Some popular brands include Celestron, Orion, and Meade. As for specific models, it is best to do some research and read reviews to find one that fits your needs and budget. Some good options for beginners include the Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ, Orion StarBlast 4.5 Astro Reflector, and Meade Infinity 70mm Altazimuth Refractor.

5. What is the best way to ensure I am getting a good, affordable telescope?

The best way to ensure you are getting a good, affordable telescope is to do thorough research. Read reviews, compare prices and features, and consider visiting a local astronomy club or store to try out different models. It is also important to set realistic expectations, as a budget-friendly telescope may not have all the advanced features of a more expensive one, but can still provide a great viewing experience for beginners.