Magnetic Moment to Angular Momentum Ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses the ratio of magnetic moment to angular momentum of an electron that is a small spherical shell with mass m and charge e spread over its surface. The ratio is shown to be e/2m for both a moving electron in a circular orbit and a spinning electron about a diameter. The solution for part b involves treating the sphere as a collection of infinitesimal rings and determining the magnetic moment using the formula M = (qv/2pi)(pi r^2).
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

Suppose that an electron is a small spherical shell of mass m with a charge e spread over its surface. Show that the ratio of the magnetic moment to angular momentum of such an electron should be e/2m whether the electron is a) moving in a circular orbit or b) spinning about a diameter.

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm confident in my reasoning for part a, which is as follows

I=-e/2 pi r = -e me vr/ 2 pi me r2

sin(a) M = IA

M = -e L/ 2 m

which then implies M /L = e/2m.

What has me stuck is how the solution for part b would proceed any differently (other than I'm pretty sure it does proceed differently). Any suggestions as to what I'm not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
for part b how would I find the B field of a uniformly charged rotating sphere?

Here is how I went about it in the end:

We can treat a sphere as a collection of infinitesimal rings, so M/L should be the same for a ring as for a sphere. So:

M = IA = (qv/ 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r)([tex]\pi[/tex] r2 )

=(q/2m)(mvr) => M /L = e/2m

1. What is the definition of magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio?

The magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio is a physical quantity that describes the relationship between the magnetic moment and the angular momentum of a particle. It is typically represented by the symbol μ/L and is a measure of how much a particle's magnetic moment is influenced by its angular momentum.

2. How is magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio calculated?

The magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio is calculated by dividing the magnetic moment (μ) of a particle by its angular momentum (L). This can be expressed as μ/L or in terms of the particle's charge (q), mass (m), and velocity (v) as μ=qLv/2m.

3. What is the significance of magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It helps to explain the magnetic properties of particles and their interactions with electromagnetic fields.

4. How does the magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio differ for different types of particles?

The magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio can vary for different types of particles, depending on their properties such as charge, mass, and spin. For example, electrons have a magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio that is different from that of protons or neutrons.

5. How is the magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio used in practical applications?

The magnetic moment to angular momentum ratio is used in various practical applications, such as in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and particle accelerators. It is also a fundamental concept in the development of technologies such as magnetic storage devices and magnetic sensors.