Raising Chickens: Baby Chicks to ½ Grown

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation is about chickens and their progress. The thread starter posted a picture of baby chicks and other members shared pictures and stories of their own chickens. They discussed the different breeds and behaviors of chickens and even the reasons why non-fertilized eggs are still laid. Some members also shared funny stories about their experiences with chickens. The conversation ends with a compliment on the poster's brood of chickens.
dlgoff said:
I've noticed them not laying for a few days when the temperatures get high/hot; especially when they are nearing the end of their laying life (~2 good years). Also, the type of food will cause them to miss a day or two. However, I don't think I've had one stop for a week then begin again.

Which brings up Roger who tapered off laying then stopped completely. She laid good for two years, including winters. She got really mean after she stopped. Just recently she was keeping the other young hens from drinking and in my aggravation I tossed her out of the coup. I'm sorry to report (Evo) that I forgot to put her back in and the next morning...feathers, lots.

RIP Roger :cry:

Grandpa had one go "broody" like that. We kids (I was little then) brought home six new chicks from the feed store and slipped them under her one night. Next morning she was a new mom - clucking and teaching them to scratch. An ol' blacksnake got two of them but she raised the other four that summer. Total personality transformation.

old jim

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Was she just outside on her own?
Yea. It was my fault forgetting she was out.

jim hardy said:
Grandpa had one go "broody" like that. We kids (I was little then) brought home six new chicks from the feed store and slipped them under her one night. Next morning she was a new mom - clucking and teaching them to scratch. An ol' blacksnake got two of them but she raised the other four that summer. Total personality transformation.

old jim
Cool story. I had a blacksnake eating eggs once. That was years ago though.

We are now down to one (very badass) hen, due to hawks :frown:. So today my husband and I finished putting netting over the whole chicken yard, about 50' X 20'.

The lone hen is now happily out in the open, under the safety of the netting. She hasn't been out like this in weeks. She'd been staying inside the shelter of the coop, or under some dense bushes.

Now that the area is safe from coyotes and hawks, we'll get more hens. I prefer to get adults. Chicks are cute, but I'd rather have eggs than cuteness.

lisab said:
We are now down to one (very badass) hen, due to hawks :frown:. So today my husband and I finished putting netting over the whole chicken yard, about 50' X 20'.

The lone hen is now happily out in the open, under the safety of the netting. She hasn't been out like this in weeks. She'd been staying inside the shelter of the coop, or under some dense bushes.

Now that the area is safe from coyotes and hawks, we'll get more hens. I prefer to get adults. Chicks are cute, but I'd rather have eggs than cuteness.
:cry:

lisab said:

Welcome to the club of hen loss. I only have one old hen left that lays occasionally. I plan on getting some chicks as soon as they arrive at TSC. I'll have cuteness and in about 5 months, eggs. I use to buy older hens at country sales but they were usually being sold because they were at the end of their productive lifes. I buy the red chickens as I like the large brown eggs.

Some new editions. This time I bought two white pullets. The other four are Road Island Reds.

Ufr8JXN.jpg

Iiflt51.jpg

AWWWW! I hope they fair better and are not fox and hawk snacks.

Get some silkies!

Attachments

• silkie.jpg
    silkie.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 479
Evo said:
Get some silkies!

...and name them Tina I, Tina II, etc.

In honor of Tina Turner, circa 1985 :biggrin:.

http://rokpool.com/files/artist/JPEG_image_Tina_Turner.jpg?0

She's fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Get some silkies!

lisab said:
...and name them Tina I, Tina II, etc.

In honor of Tina Turner, circa 1985 :biggrin:.

http://rokpool.com/files/artist/JPEG_image_Tina_Turner.jpg?0

She's fantastic!
Awesome. I'll have to put some audio equipment in the coop so I can play them this. :approve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7COj6PF6ftE

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
Awesome. I'll have to put some audio equipment in the coop so I can play them this. :approve:

:!) that made my head move like a chicken's, haha!

Astronuc said:
Nice. But my chickens make big messes. Grain, feathers, and poop everywhere. I could never get away with cleaning only once per season. Stupid chickens.