Black holes and higher dimensional universe

In summary, the idea that black holes are 2-dimensional representations of our 3-dimensional universe comes from the holographic principle, which suggests that certain quantum field theories can be modeled with a black hole in an anti-de Sitter space. However, this is just a mathematical tool and it is not possible to test the existence of this space. Even if it did exist, our universe would only be the boundary of this space, which has 4 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension. The concept of time flowing in one direction after entering our universe is not clearly defined. A good book to learn more about this is Leonard Susskind's "The Black Hole War".
pibb
if black holes are 2 dimensional representations of our 3 dimensional universe, does that make our universe a 3 dimensional representation existing on the edge of (or entirely inside) a 4 dimensional universe? or to a 4th dimensional being would our 3 dimensional universe be considered a "black hole" since time will only flow in one direction after entering our universe?

Space news on Phys.org
pibb said:
if black holes are 2 dimensional representations of our 3 dimensional universe, does that make our universe a 3 dimensional representation existing on the edge of (or entirely inside) a 4 dimensional universe? or to a 4th dimensional being would our 3 dimensional universe be considered a "black hole" since time will only flow in one direction after entering our universe?

HUH ? Where did you hear that a black hole is a "2 dimensional representations of our 3 dimensional universe". Post reference please.

it was in string theory iirc.

phinds said:
HUH ? Where did you hear that a black hole is a "2 dimensional representations of our 3 dimensional universe". Post reference please.

I think he meant the holographic principle...

To the OP:

But that is really not what it says! The holographic principle says that we can model physics of certain quantum field theory with has strong coupling (i.e. difficult to calculate and solve) with a black hole in a kind of space called anti-de Sitter space in a semi-classical regime (i.e. easy to calculate with). One then translate the result back into the language of the field theory.

Note that this can be treated as a mathematical tool in calculating - there is really no way to test whether such anti-de Sitter space "really exist". Even granting such possibility, the universe would then be the boundary of this anti-de Sitter space (which has 4 space dimension and 1 dimension). But I don't think we should take this too literally. I don't understand what it is meant by

"time will only flow in one direction after entering our universe?"

By the way a good popular science book about holographic principle is Susskind's "https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316016403/?tag=pfamazon01-20".

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reply. yeah i think it was leonard susskinds holographic principle that i must have not understood. thanks for the suggestion about the book also.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself, creating a singularity with infinite density and zero volume.

2. Can we see a black hole?

No, we cannot directly see a black hole as light cannot escape from it. However, we can observe its effects on its surroundings, such as the distortion of light and the movement of nearby stars.

3. Are there different types of black holes?

Yes, there are three main types of black holes: stellar black holes, intermediate black holes, and supermassive black holes. Stellar black holes are formed from the collapse of a single massive star, while intermediate black holes are formed from the merger of multiple smaller black holes. Supermassive black holes are found in the centers of galaxies and are millions or even billions of times more massive than the Sun.

4. What is a higher dimensional universe?

A higher dimensional universe is a theoretical concept in which there are more than the three dimensions (length, width, and height) that we experience in our everyday lives. These dimensions are thought to be curled up or compactified, making them imperceptible to us.

5. Do black holes exist in higher dimensional universes?

It is possible that black holes could exist in higher dimensional universes, but our current understanding of physics and the behavior of black holes is limited to the three dimensions that we experience. More research and studies are needed to fully understand the potential existence of black holes in higher dimensions.