Concern about past adventures in the liberal arts.

• Thread starter DdraigGoch
  • Start date
In summary: Thankfully, my professors vouched for me and I was admitted to the program. In summary, this individual had a difficult adolescence and did not do well in their academic endeavors. They decided to pursue a degree in ecology and have been doing well so far. They have a few concerns about how their previous academic endeavors will effect their chances of being accepted into a good graduate program. They recommend sending a letter explaining the situation and their current academic progress.
DdraigGoch
I am in a bit of a difficult situation and I could use some advice about the magnitude of my problem and possible options. First, a bit of history...

I had a rough adolescence resulting in graduating two years late. Not doing any studying or homework in high school lead to decent liberal arts grades, awful science/math grades, and taking the bare minimum science and math to graduate. I followed what I thought I was good at and ended up working on an environmental studies BA.

Surprise surprise, I kept doing what I had been doing all along. I got terrible grades in university but I didn't have any better ideas. I kept at it for a bit over 4 years and then bailed with 1 semester left and a GPA in the mid 2.0s.

I took a couple years off school to figure out what on Earth I was going to do with myself. Aided by the cleansing power of manual labor, I decided to chase my childhood dream and try and get an ecology degree.

I just finished my first year in a science program. I am LOVING what I am doing and have managed a 4.18/4.33 GPA so far (At this school A:4.00, A:+4.33). I want to go to grad school. As you can imagine I am concerned about how my previous academic ventures will effect my ability to get into a good graduate program. I am intended to transfer into an honors degree, do undergraduate research, and everything else I can to make up for past mistakes.

Do I have to declare my previous GPA? Will my GPAs just get pooled together for grad applications or can I present them separately? In general I am trying to get a feel for how bad this situation is and what I can do to minimize the badness. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The graduate school will determine which classes they'll use to calculate your GPA. However, doing what you plan will help mitigate those factors, as will an explanation in your application essay (assuming you go into a graduate program that requires one).

daveb said:
The graduate school will determine which classes they'll use to calculate your GPA. However, doing what you plan will help mitigate those factors, as will an explanation in your application essay (assuming you go into a graduate program that requires one).

Oh, interesting. So I send them ALL of my academic records and they derive a GPA from that? Am I understanding you correctly?
I guess my primary concern is not making it past the initial gpa-cutoff filter. A letter explaining the situation is probably a good idea though. Thanks for the input.

Yes, that's right. I got my BS in Physics/Math 2003, but had gone to college for about 1 1/2 years right out of high school for Theater Arts back in 1980. Ohio State wanted all my records, even those from back in 1980.

I can understand your concerns about your past academic experiences and the potential impact on your future goals. However, I want to assure you that your current academic achievements and passion for your field will be the most important factors in your graduate school applications. Admissions committees are interested in seeing growth and improvement in a student's academic record, and your strong performance in your current science program will definitely be taken into consideration.

That being said, it is important to be transparent about your past academic experiences in your graduate school applications. Some applications may require you to disclose all previous college coursework and GPAs, while others may give you the option to only include your most recent academic record. It is important to carefully review each application and follow the instructions provided.

Additionally, you can also take advantage of your personal statement or application essay to explain any challenges you faced in your previous academic pursuits and how you have overcome them and grown as a student. This can also be a great opportunity to highlight your passion for your field and your dedication to your current studies.

In terms of minimizing the impact of your past academic experiences, I would recommend focusing on excelling in your current program and taking advantage of any opportunities for undergraduate research or other academic experiences. These will not only strengthen your application, but also give you valuable experience and skills for graduate school.

Overall, I believe your current academic success and passion for your field will greatly outweigh any past academic challenges in your graduate school applications. Keep up the hard work and continue to pursue your dream of getting an ecology degree. Best of luck to you!

I can understand your concern about your past academic experiences and how they may affect your chances of getting into a good graduate program. However, it is important to remember that your current GPA and performance in your science program will carry more weight in your graduate school application than your past liberal arts GPA.

That being said, it is always best to be honest and transparent in your application. You should declare your previous GPA, but also use your personal statement or other application materials to explain the circumstances that led to it and how you have grown and improved since then. Admissions committees will take into account your overall academic trajectory and your current success in your science program.

In terms of presenting your GPAs, it will depend on the specific application requirements and guidelines of the graduate programs you are applying to. Some may ask for all GPAs to be combined, while others may allow you to present them separately. Again, it is important to be honest and follow the specific instructions for each program.

Overall, I would advise you to continue working hard in your science program and focus on building a strong academic record and research experience. This will demonstrate your dedication and potential as a graduate student, and can help offset any concerns about your past academic performance. Good luck in your future academic pursuits!

What is the liberal arts?

The liberal arts refer to a broad range of academic disciplines including literature, history, philosophy, art, and languages. These subjects are often considered to be the foundation of a well-rounded education.

Why is there concern about past adventures in the liberal arts?

Some individuals may be concerned that pursuing a liberal arts education will not lead to a high-paying job or career opportunities. There may also be concerns about the practicality and usefulness of these subjects in the modern world.

Are there any benefits to studying the liberal arts?

Yes, there are many benefits to studying the liberal arts. These subjects can help develop critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills. They also provide a well-rounded education and can lead to a deeper understanding and appreciation of the world.

How can a liberal arts education be applied to different careers?

While a liberal arts education may not have a direct career path, the skills and knowledge gained from studying these subjects can be applied to a variety of careers. For example, a history major may go on to work in journalism, law, or even business. The critical thinking and communication skills gained from a liberal arts education are valuable in any field.

Is a liberal arts education still relevant in today's society?

Yes, a liberal arts education is still relevant in today's society. In fact, many employers value the skills and knowledge gained from studying the liberal arts. These subjects provide a strong foundation for lifelong learning and can help individuals adapt to an ever-changing job market.