Big Bang With No Center Fallacy?

In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, the Big Bang began in a small, restricted area/volume/domain/node/etc or the universe sprang into existence "everywhere all at once" -whatever that means- as I once read somewhere (to explain why the universe has no center). So which is it? And if it sprang into existence in a homogenous way everywhere at once, why call it a Big Bang? Seems like a throw of the 'Big Switch' rather than a Big Bang in that case...Space was created at the big bang. It didn't expand into anything but the universe did go through a massive expansion.
Islam Hassan
Either the Big Bang began in a small, restricted area/volume/domain/node/etc or the universe sprang into existence "everywhere all at once" -whatever that means- as I once read somewhere (to explain why the universe has no center). So which is it? And if it sprang into existence in a homogenous way everywhere at once, why call it a Big Bang? Seems like a throw of the 'Big Switch' rather than a Big Bang in that case...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Space was created at the big bang. It didn't expand into anything but the universe did go through a massive expansion.

Islam Hassan said:
Either the Big Bang began in a small, restricted area/volume/domain/node/etc or the universe sprang into existence "everywhere all at once" -whatever that means- as I once read somewhere (to explain why the universe has no center). So which is it? And if it sprang into existence in a homogenous way everywhere at once, why call it a Big Bang? Seems like a throw of the 'Big Switch' rather than a Big Bang in that case...

To say the Big Bang begain in a small area is a little bit off the mark. There was no "empty" space that the Big Bang happened in. It is thought, taking into consideration homogeneity that the Big Bang occurred geometrically in all points of space/time and then inflation and expansion followed. Prior to the Big Bang it is thought there was no space/time, so to assume the BB happened at a "point" in space/time fails to take into account that space/time as we understand it did not yet exist.

To clarify for you - the Big Bang did not begin in a small restricted part of space - current cosmoligcal models and pretty universal isotropy (excluding local variance) can rule this out.

Yes, the Big Bang is counter intuitive terminology and interestingly was coined by Fred Hoyle (a steady state advocate and in disagreement with expansion theory) as a derisory term; to Hoyles dismay the term stuck.

Cosmo Novice said:
To say the Big Bang begain in a small area is a little bit off the mark. There was no "empty" space that the Big Bang happened in. It is thought, taking into consideration homogeneity that the Big Bang occurred geometrically in all points of space/time and then inflation and expansion followed. Prior to the Big Bang it is thought there was no space/time, so to assume the BB happened at a "point" in space/time fails to take into account that space/time as we understand it did not yet exist.

To clarify for you - the Big Bang did not begin in a small restricted part of space - current cosmoligcal models and pretty universal isotropy (excluding local variance) can rule this out.

Yes, the Big Bang is counter intuitive terminology and interestingly was coined by Fred Hoyle (a steady state advocate and in disagreement with expansion theory) as a derisory term; to Hoyles dismay the term stuck.

Thanks for insight. I guess the spatial projection of the BB is another of those phenomena for which no satisfactory lay explanation really exists. The circles-on-a-balloon analogy especially I always found quite inadequate. Another case of mathematics over eyeballs...

Islam Hassan said:
Thanks for insight. I guess the spatial projection of the BB is another of those phenomena for which no satisfactory lay explanation really exists. The circles-on-a-balloon analogy especially I always found quite inadequate. Another case of mathematics over eyeballs...

As Cosmo Novice said, the BB is both counter intuitive (at a deep level). It is a VERY unfortunate choice of designations that has caused untold hours of folks trying to overcome the misunderstandings that arise from the idea of an explosion from a central point.

The circles on a balloon analogy is really a very good one if you understand the limitations that it does have and don't get hung up on them.

phinds said:
The circles on a balloon analogy is really a very good one if you understand the limitations that it does have and don't get hung up on them.

I totally agree with this, the analogy is a good one, as long as you take into account dimensional representation and apply a 3d analogue to the 2d surface of the balloon. This can then be extended to the n dimension.

I would definitely look at some of the other anologues as well as collectively they can really develop your understanding on current cosmological thinking.

What is the "Big Bang With No Center Fallacy"?

The "Big Bang With No Center Fallacy" is a common misconception about the origin of the universe. It refers to the idea that the Big Bang occurred at a specific point in space and that the universe has a center point. However, this is not true as the Big Bang occurred everywhere in the universe at the same time.

Why is the "Big Bang With No Center Fallacy" a fallacy?

The "Big Bang With No Center Fallacy" is a fallacy because it assumes that the universe has a center point, which is not supported by scientific evidence. The Big Bang theory states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since, with no specific center point.

What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Big Bang theory, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, and the expansion of the universe. These pieces of evidence all point to a single, explosive event that started the universe.

What is the role of gravity in the Big Bang theory?

Gravity played a crucial role in the Big Bang theory. As the universe expanded after the initial explosion, gravity caused matter to clump together, forming galaxies and other structures. Without gravity, the universe would have expanded too quickly for galaxies and stars to form.

Does the Big Bang theory explain the origin of the universe?

No, the Big Bang theory does not explain the origin of the universe. It only describes the expansion of the universe from a single point in time. The question of what caused the Big Bang and what existed before it remains a mystery in the field of cosmology.