How to integrate complicated differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the given function using integration by parts and u-substitution methods. The correct solution is obtained by using u-substitution and then differentiating the result with respect to the variable in the exponent.
trojansc82

Homework Statement

I need to integrate ∫ -y3ey2/2

Homework Equations

Integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried several times, I am unable to find the correct solution, which is:

-yey2/2 + 2ey2/2 + c

Physics news on Phys.org
trojansc82 said:

Homework Statement

I need to integrate ∫ -y3ey2/2

Homework Equations

Integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried several times, I am unable to find the correct solution, which is:

-yey2/2 + 2ey2/2 + c

I think you can use u substitution. Let u = y^2, du = 2y. If you factor that y^3 at y^2 * y it should work. You might have to also do integration by parts afterwards.

Try a u-substitution.

Here is a possibly slicker method, calculate:
[tex]
\int ye^{ay^{2}}dy
[/tex]
This should be very straight forward, the result should be a function of a, all you do now is differentiate the result with respect to a and then set a=1/2.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and is an important tool in many areas of science and engineering.

2. Why are differential equations difficult to solve?

Differential equations are difficult to solve because they involve derivatives, which are constantly changing. They can also be nonlinear and have no analytical solution, making it necessary to use numerical methods to approximate a solution.

3. What is the process of integrating a differential equation?

The process of integrating a differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done by using various integration techniques, such as separation of variables, integration by parts, or substitution.

4. What are some common techniques for solving complicated differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving complicated differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods.

5. Can computer software be used to solve complicated differential equations?

Yes, there are many computer software programs that can be used to solve complicated differential equations. These programs use numerical methods and algorithms to approximate a solution. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the underlying mathematics to properly interpret the results.