Evaporation/Condensation question

• Thread starter Nick_12
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of sweat from a person's body being transferred onto a water bottle through condensation. The conclusion is that it is possible, but it would be difficult to determine where the sweat came from on the bottle.
Nick_12
Hi, I was mowing my lawn today and I was drinking some water out of a water bottle and the bottle was sweating. My question is could my sweat be on the water bottle? I was thinking this was possible because my sweat would evaporate and the the water on the bottle is just condensed water. So I was think my sweat could have condensed onto the bottle after it evaporated. Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly! But just the water in it...

Nick_12 said:
Hi, I was mowing my lawn today and I was drinking some water out of a water bottle and the bottle was sweating. My question is could my sweat be on the water bottle? I was thinking this was possible because my sweat would evaporate and the the water on the bottle is just condensed water. So I was think my sweat could have condensed onto the bottle after it evaporated. Is this true?

You might be able to determine from the pattern of undisturbed condensation (from the bottle) the specific areas that you touched.

thank you guys for the quick response that answered my question.

Yes, it is possible that your sweat could have condensed onto the water bottle after it evaporated. Evaporation is the process by which a liquid, in this case your sweat, turns into a gas. This gas can then cool and condense onto a surface, such as the water bottle, forming small droplets of liquid. This is similar to how water vapor in the air can condense onto a cold surface, like a mirror, forming water droplets. So, it is likely that your sweat did contribute to the condensation on the water bottle.

1. What is evaporation?

Evaporation is the process by which a liquid, such as water, changes into a gas or vapor. This occurs when the molecules of the liquid gain enough energy to break free from their liquid state and become a gas.

2. How does evaporation occur?

Evaporation occurs when the surface molecules of a liquid are heated and gain enough energy to escape into the surrounding air. The process is affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and air movement, which can speed up or slow down the rate of evaporation.

3. What is condensation?

Condensation is the opposite of evaporation, where a gas or vapor changes back into a liquid. This happens when the temperature of the gas or vapor decreases and the molecules lose energy, causing them to come together and form a liquid.

4. What causes condensation to occur?

Condensation occurs when the air is cooled to its dew point, which is the temperature at which water vapor in the air begins to condense into liquid water. This can happen when warm, moist air comes into contact with a cooler surface, such as a mirror or a cold drink.

5. What are some real-life examples of evaporation and condensation?

Some common examples of evaporation and condensation include the water cycle, where water evaporates from bodies of water and then condenses in the atmosphere to form clouds and eventually precipitation. Other examples include a puddle drying up on a hot day (evaporation) or water droplets forming on the outside of a cold drink (condensation).