Molecular Formula from Mass and Volume Calculations

In summary, to find the molecular formula of a compound with 92.3% carbon and 7.7% hydrogen by mass, and a vapour occupying an equal volume to 0.01g of hydrogen gas, one must first calculate the number of moles in the given volume of the gas using the ideal gas law. Then, using the percentages of carbon and hydrogen, the empirical formula can be determined by dividing the percentages by their corresponding atomic weights. From there, the molecular formula can be obtained by multiplying the empirical formula by a constant number derived from the volume calculations.
preet
What is the molecular formula of a compound which contains 92.3% carbon and 7.7% hydrogen by mass, if 0.39g of its vapour occupies an equal volume of .01g of hydrogen gas under identical conditions?

I don't understand how to do this question. I can figure out the empirical formula... but I don't know how to get the molecular formula. Any help would be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is not very hard, I think. Let's take a look.

I'll start from the second part. An equal volume means equal mole amount at identical circumstances, as you know. You'll just find how many moles are there in 0.01 g of H2 gas, and make it equal to the gas you're asking about.

If 0.39 grams of this gas is equal to the mole amount you'll find, then one mole of this gas is the molecular weight of the gas.

About molecular formulae, try dividing percentage results into their corresponding atomic weights, for example, if a substance gives 20% of carbon, then you'll divide 0.20 to 12. What you'll do next is dividing the numbers into the smallest one to obtain a 1 in the series, and expressing them in terms of relative magnitudes of the smallest one.

Last edited:
I don't really understand what you mean by an equal volume means equal mole amount at identical circumstances...I don't think we've learned that. And in the last part, isn't that to get the empirical formula?

[ ignore this, didn't read the entire post]

Considering your question involves ideal gases, one mole of gas is known to occupy 22.4 liters in 1 atm ordinary pressure (in 0 °C=273,15 K). So you can directly calculate how many moles are there in a given volume of the gas, by using the known formula, [tex]P \times V=n \times R \times T[/tex]

The last part is used to obtain empirical formula, you are right, and molecular formula can be derived from empirical one, because you will know the molecular formula from the volume calculations, and from there you can multiply the empirical formula with a constant number to obtain molecular formula, I think.

Last edited:

1. How do you determine the molecular formula of a compound?

To determine the molecular formula of a compound, you need to know the compound's empirical formula and its molar mass. The empirical formula gives the simplest whole-number ratio of atoms in the compound, while the molar mass gives the mass of one mole of the compound. By using the molar mass and the empirical formula, you can calculate the molecular formula.

2. What is the difference between empirical formula and molecular formula?

The empirical formula is the simplest whole-number ratio of atoms in a compound, while the molecular formula gives the exact number of each type of atom in a molecule of the compound. The empirical formula can be the same as the molecular formula, but it is not always the case.

3. Can a compound have multiple molecular formulas?

Yes, a compound can have multiple molecular formulas. This can happen when the compound has the same empirical formula but different arrangements of atoms. These compounds are called isomers.

4. How can you experimentally determine the empirical formula of a compound?

To experimentally determine the empirical formula, you can use methods such as combustion analysis or elemental analysis. These methods involve burning a sample of the compound and analyzing the resulting products to determine the ratios of elements present.

5. Can a compound's empirical formula be the same as its molecular formula?

Yes, a compound's empirical formula can be the same as its molecular formula. This is the case when the compound's molecules only contain one atom of each element present, making the empirical formula the same as the molecular formula.