What are the criteria for classifying elements as metalloids and halogens?

In summary, there is some disagreement over whether polonium and astatine are metalloids, as there is no clear consensus on the definition of the term. However, both elements are classified as halogens due to their placement in Group 17 of the periodic table. It is best to clarify with your teacher which list will be used in class.
thesparrow
I'm currently studying grade 11 chemistry... And the periodic table of elements slightly confuses me.

I am having trouble understanding which are metalloids, and halogens. In the handout that my teacher gave me, it listed the following as metalloids: B, Si, Ge, As, Sb, Te, Po, and At. It also says the halogens are: F, Cl, Br and I.

On my school agenda, the included periodic table of elements lists the following as metalloids: B, Si, Ge, As, Sb, and Te. It says the halogens are: F, Cl, Br, I, and At.

On Wikipedia, it says these are metalloids: B, Si, Ge, As, Sb, Te and Po. It says the halogens are: F, Cl, Br, I and At.

Which is correct?!

:(

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The term "halogen" simply refers to the Group 17 elements as a whole. So as astatine (At) is an element in Group 17 of the periodic table, it can be described as a halogen. Whether something is a metal, non-metal, or metalloid has no impact on this classification. The chalcogens, for example, are all elements in Group 16 (oxygen, sulfur, and so on).

I think people are still arguing over whether polonium and astatine are metalloids in the literature. This is mostly since no one has ever been able to develop any consensus definition of the term. I have the recollection that astatine is more likely to be listed as a non-metal, and that polonium is more likely to be listed as a metalloid, but I would definitely ask your teacher which particular list he or she will be using for the class.

What is the Periodic Table of Elements?

The Periodic Table of Elements is a table that organizes all known chemical elements based on their atomic structure and properties.

How many elements are there in the Periodic Table?

As of 2021, there are 118 confirmed elements in the Periodic Table. However, scientists continue to search for and discover new elements.

What information can be found in the Periodic Table of Elements?

The Periodic Table provides information about the elements' atomic number, symbol, name, atomic weight, electron configuration, and chemical properties.

Why is the Periodic Table important?

The Periodic Table is important because it allows scientists to predict the behavior and properties of elements based on their position in the table. It also helps in organizing and categorizing elements for easier study and understanding.

Who created the Periodic Table of Elements?

Dmitri Mendeleev is credited as the creator of the Periodic Table in 1869. However, other scientists, such as Julius Lothar Meyer, also contributed to its development.