Is there a pattern to the placement of maximal ideals in Z[X]?

• Thread starter ForMyThunder
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of maximal ideals and their relationship to polynomial rings. It is mentioned that 2Z is a maximal ideal of Z, but 2Z[X] is not maximal in Z[X]. It is also discussed that a maximal ideal of A may not necessarily lead to a maximal ideal of A[X]. The conversation also references a picture of prime ideals in Z[X] and provides a resource for further information on the topic.
ForMyThunder
Since 2Z is a maximal ideal of Z, 2Z[X] is an ideal of Z[X] but it is not maximal since Z[X]/2Z[X]~(Z/2Z)[X] is not a field.

I'm wondering if a is a maximal ideal of A, when can you say that a[X] is a maximal ideal of A[X]?

I suppose that for any A which does not have the zero ideal as a maximal ideal, the polynomial X would not be a unit in (A/a)[X]. So... a[X] is a maximal ideal of A[X] if and only if a=0 is maximal in A?

Physics news on Phys.org
ForMyThunder said:
Since 2Z is a maximal ideal of Z, 2Z[X] is an ideal of Z[X] but it is not maximal since Z[X]/2Z[X]~(Z/2Z)[X] is not a field.

I'm wondering if a is a maximal ideal of A, when can you say that a[X] is a maximal ideal of A[X]?

Almost never, considering that if I is an ideal of A, then I+XA[X] is an ideal that contains I. So For example, 2Z[X] isn't maximal since 2Z+XZ[X] is an ideal that contains it (and that is maximal.

Here is a picture of all the prime ideals of Z[X]:

GrothMumford.jpg

The regular dots represent the maximal ideals. The ugly things like [(2)] or [(0)] are just prime ideals. See http://www.neverendingbooks.org/index.php/grothendiecks-functor-of-points.html for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a maximal ideal?

A maximal ideal is a subset of a ring that is a proper ideal and is not properly contained in any other ideal.

2. How are maximal ideals defined in Z[X]?

In Z[X], the maximal ideals are the principal ideals generated by irreducible polynomials.

3. Can a maximal ideal in Z[X] be generated by a non-irreducible polynomial?

No, in Z[X], maximal ideals can only be generated by irreducible polynomials.

4. How do maximal ideals relate to prime ideals in Z[X]?

All prime ideals in Z[X] are maximal ideals, but not all maximal ideals are prime. This means that maximal ideals are a subset of prime ideals.

5. Why are maximal ideals important in Z[X]?

Maximal ideals play a crucial role in the study of factorization in Z[X]. They help us understand the structure of the ring and can be used to prove important theorems, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra.