Becoming a Math Tutor: Is My Plan a Good One?

• Thread starter davie08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutor
In summary, the first tutor charges $20 an hour and she does 5 students at once. The second tutor charges $25 an hour and he does one student at a time.
davie08
okay so I'm in my first year of university and I've been going to 2 math tutors for a business calculus course. The one is an older lady who has a very large amount of people who go to her she makes around $500 a day, she does this by tutoring 5 kids at once I was actually there where a day before a test 15 people were there at $20 an hour for 2 hours. The other one is a guy who does the labs for the course he does one on one and charges $25 an hour but I learn a lot more from him than the other tutor. So what I'm getting at is I'm thinking of trying to master this course after I take it, and just understand it extremely well so that I could be a tutor for it. This course is pretty well mandatory for first year commerce students, and when your in your first year and your taking math, your bound to have a lot of troubles at least I've noticed this with the others in the class a long with myself. So would this be a good idea, I'm actually thinking I could make this my only job and I could pull in up to $200 a day at least through the school year, and when I start to build up a lot of clients I could teach 3 or 4 people at once for $20 an hour that's when you can start making a ton of money.

So any thoughts on if my plan is a good one?

Science news on Phys.org
Beware, tutoring is not just easy money. Tutoring somebody can be really intensive and exhausting. You must really understand the student's problem very well to be able to answer the questions. Just knowing the stuff isn't good enough.
Furthermore, most students just aren't interested in the course. So they will make no effort what-so-ever. They're not interested in understanding anything, but just in a good grade.

where do i apply? that's more than i made as a professor.

1. What qualifications do I need to become a math tutor?

To become a math tutor, you typically need to have a strong understanding of math concepts and techniques. Most tutors have completed at least a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as mathematics, engineering, or education. It also helps to have previous tutoring experience or teaching experience.

2. How can I create a successful tutoring plan?

To create a successful tutoring plan, it is important to assess the student's current level of understanding and identify areas where they need improvement. You should also set clear goals and objectives for each tutoring session and use a variety of teaching methods to cater to different learning styles. Regular communication with the student and their parents can also help to ensure a successful tutoring plan.

3. Is it necessary to have a lesson plan for each session?

Having a lesson plan for each session is not always necessary. However, it can be helpful for staying organized and ensuring that you cover all necessary topics. It also allows you to track the student's progress and adjust your teaching methods as needed.

4. How can I make my tutoring sessions engaging and effective?

To make your tutoring sessions engaging and effective, you can incorporate interactive activities, real-life examples, and hands-on practice into your lessons. It is also important to maintain a positive and encouraging attitude, and to provide constructive feedback to the student.

5. How can I keep track of my students' progress?

There are various ways to keep track of your students' progress as a math tutor. You can use quizzes, tests, and other assessments to measure their understanding of the material. It can also be helpful to maintain a record of the topics covered in each session and to communicate regularly with the student's teacher or parents to get feedback on their progress.