What to read after Understanding Analysis

• Thread starter Mr.Miyagi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for further reading after completing "Understanding Analysis" and wants to gain a strong understanding of real and complex analysis as well as differential geometry. They have a moderate background in mathematics and are looking for efficient and comprehensive resources to supplement their formal education. Suggestions include Korner's "A Companion to Analysis" and separate textbooks on complex analysis and differential geometry. It is also recommended to have a course in topology before delving into differential geometry.
Mr.Miyagi
What to read after "Understanding Analysis"

I have worked through Abbot's "Understanding Analysis" thoroughly and would like to learn more about the subject. My goal is to gain a good understanding of real and complex analysis and I also want to work my way up to differential geometry.

I think I have had an average course-load of mathematics for a 3rd year student of physics. Most important to my question, linear algebra (Leon), calculus (Stewart) up till real analysis (Abbot) including vector calculus (Colley). Also the basics of complex analysis (Saff and Snider) and some tidbits here and there as needed for the physics.

Since my goal is fairly broad, I'm not sure how to continue. I suppose I could start with a more rigorous book on real analysis, Rudin say, but I'm not sure how much overlap there is between that and Abbot. Would a book on topology be a reasonable way to go? Perhaps something else entirely? And in general, is there a reasonable progression of books to reach my goals?

I would really like to be efficient about this, since I don't have a lot of free time to spend on material besides my formal education. But, on the other hand, I do want a thorough understanding of the subject.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Have you come across Korner's ' A Companion to analysis'? I find it a good second course, even after having studied Rudin's & Apostol's books.
Separate textbooks on complex analysis & on differential geometry would help , as these have much special attributes. An overview of books will really help you decide what & how much to study.

I second Korner's book, I found it an excellent introduction to analysis, but you should definitely look into a course in topology before starting with differential geometry.

What to read after Understanding Analysis?

1. What is the next step after understanding analysis?

After understanding analysis, the next step would depend on your specific interests and goals. Some suggestions could be to read more advanced texts on real analysis, or to explore related fields such as complex analysis, topology, or differential equations.

2. Is there a specific book or author recommended after Understanding Analysis?

While there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, some popular recommendations include "Real Analysis" by Royden and Fitzpatrick, "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Rudin, or "A Course in Mathematical Analysis" by Garling.

3. Are there any online resources or lecture notes that can supplement Understanding Analysis?

Yes, there are many online resources and lecture notes available that can supplement your understanding of analysis. Some examples include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and lecture notes from various universities.

4. What are some key concepts or topics to focus on after reading Understanding Analysis?

Some key concepts and topics to focus on after reading Understanding Analysis include advanced topics in real analysis such as Lebesgue integration, measure theory, and functional analysis. Other areas to explore could include mathematical proofs, logic, and set theory.

5. Can Understanding Analysis be used as a reference book for future studies in analysis?

Yes, Understanding Analysis can definitely be used as a reference book for future studies in analysis. It covers many fundamental concepts and techniques that are essential for further studies in analysis and related fields.