Small Wright Flyer - How to make it work?

• Thread starter Ariel Ace AD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, a school student interested in aeronautics is working on a model of the Wright brothers' 1903 plane. They are looking for ideas on how to make it workable with a motor and propeller, and for knowledge in predicting the flight capabilities of other models. They clarify that they do not want to control the model and just want it to have functioning motors and wings for lift.
Ariel Ace AD
Hello guys :) This is the first thread am posting here. I'm just a school student studying 10th std. But am greatly interested in aeronautics and collected some info. As i surfed through the net, i came across this link : http://wright.nasa.gov/ROGER/1903model.htm Just for fun, i teamed up with my friend and are in the verge of completing the model. But in this link, that model is just for display. But anyone has any ideas of how to make it workable, if you assume that it has all the motor and propeller facilities? Please suggest ideas. If necessary, i will post its measurements and other things of my created model... Please help me. In what area should i have knowledge to predict if any other models of mine can fly? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. How workable do you want it? What scale? How will you control it? Will you try to use the actual methods of control they used, or will you use other methods?

What you want to do will greatly affect what you need

Well actually, i don't want to control it... It should simply have the motors and its wings should be able to support it and produce lift. Basically, its just like a glider, but motorised. No controlling things and all...

1. How does the Small Wright Flyer work?

The Small Wright Flyer works by utilizing the principles of flight, specifically lift and thrust. The wings of the flyer are designed with a curved shape, which helps create lift as air passes over them. The thrust is generated by a propeller powered by a rubber band motor, which pushes the flyer forward through the air.

2. What materials are needed to make a Small Wright Flyer?

To make a Small Wright Flyer, you will need balsa wood, a rubber band, a propeller, glue, and scissors. The balsa wood will be used to create the frame and wings of the flyer, while the rubber band and propeller will power it. The glue and scissors will be used for assembly and shaping.

3. How do you assemble a Small Wright Flyer?

To assemble a Small Wright Flyer, first cut the balsa wood into the necessary pieces according to the instructions. Then, glue the pieces together to create the frame and wings of the flyer. Next, attach the rubber band to the propeller and secure it to the frame. Finally, make any necessary adjustments to ensure the flyer is balanced and ready to fly.

4. How far can a Small Wright Flyer fly?

The distance a Small Wright Flyer can fly depends on various factors such as wind conditions, launch technique, and weight. With proper assembly and launch, the flyer can fly up to 50 feet or more.

5. Can the Small Wright Flyer be modified for better performance?

Yes, the Small Wright Flyer can be modified for better performance. Some modifications that can be made include adjusting the wing shape and size, using a different type of propeller, or adding additional weight to improve stability. Experimentation and testing may be necessary to achieve optimal performance.