Understanding Normal Force on an Inclined Plane: Pushing vs. Carrying a Mass

In summary, the force required to push a mass upward along an inclined plane with a constant velocity is dependent on the angle of the incline and is smaller than directly lifting the mass. However, when carrying the mass up the incline, the total force required is greater due to the additional force needed to support the mass against gravity. This demonstrates the mechanical advantage of using an inclined plane.
Donald K
Is there any difference in the force I need to apply between pushing and carrying a mass upward along an inclined plane with a constant velocity ?

I'm puzzled with the normal force of the mass at the inclined plane. When I push up a mas, the normal force of it is exerted by the inclined plane. If I carry it, the normal force is exerted by me.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I quite understand the question. If you're pushing a mass up a frictionless incline, then you only need to push a fraction of the weight (mgsinθ). If you are carrying it up an incline (with friction, otherwise you won't be able to walk), then you must support the full weight. OK. What's the issue?

The push of the plane on the mass is sometimes called the reaction of the plane on the mass. If there is no friction, this reaction will be normal to the plane. Hence it is usually called the 'normal force'. This is the force with which the plane pushes on the mass.

Assume there is no friction.

When I push up a mass up the inclined plane ,the reaction force (mgcosθ) is offered by the plane. The force I need to apply is Mgsinθ, <mg.

If I carry the mass, (e.g. I put it above my head) the reaction force is provided by me.

The total force I need to provide is mgcosθ + Mgsinθ which is > mg.

Is it a paradox?

Donald K said:
The total force I need to provide is mgcosθ + Mgsinθ which is > mg.
Those components are perpendicular; they must be added as vectors. They add to mg.
Is it a paradox?
No paradox. The work you need to do against gravity to raise the object a certain height is the same. With the incline, since you exert less force, the distance you have to push is greater. (Allowing you to exert less force is the benefit of using an incline.)

Thanks!

I know the work done is path independent.

But how about the mgcosθ ( the reaction force) if I carry it (in my hands / put it on my head)

If I carry the mass in my hands, the reaction force exerted by the incline is ( my mass +m)cosθ.

The reaction force I need to keep the mass from falling down my hand is mgcosθ, is it right?

So the total force I need to spend (mgcosθ + mgsinθ) is greater at the incline if I carry the mass in my hands?

Donald K said:
Thanks!

I know the work done is path independent.

But how about the mgcosθ ( the reaction force) if I carry it (in my hands / put it on my head)

If I carry the mass in my hands, the reaction force exerted by the incline is ( my mass +m)cosθ.
So both you and the object are on the frictionless incline now? (What's preventing you from sliding down?) If so, the normal force exerted by the incline will be (M + m)cosθ. So?

The reaction force I need to keep the mass from falling down my hand is mgcosθ, is it right?
If you are holding the mass in your hand, and it's not accelerating, then you must be exerting a force of mg on it to support it. If you are sliding down the incline as you hold the mass, then you only exert a force of mgcosθ on it.

So the total force I need to spend (mgcosθ + mgsinθ) is greater at the incline if I carry the mass in my hands?
I'm still not understanding your point. If you are holding the mass as you both slide down a frictionless incline, then the force you exert on the mass is as outlined above.

Assume constant velocity. There is no acceleration and friction on the ramp.

The force needed to push up the incline is mgsinθ which is smaller than directly raising up , i.e., mg. This is mechanical advantage of the incline.

But how about the reaction force component mgcosθ if I hold the mass? If I hold it, it is offered by me rather than the incline surface.

It means the total force I need to spend is more. i.e. mgcosθ + mgsinθ

Hence, the ramp can save your force only if you pushing up the mass (the mgcosθ is done by the incline), not carrying it.

The force needed to handle a mass up a ramp varies on your lifting method. If you hold it
by your arms, you spend more. If you just push it up, it's saving your force.

Donald K said:
Assume constant velocity. There is no acceleration and friction on the ramp.
Still confusing. Friction? Yes or no?

If the object is being slid up a frictionless incline at constant velocity, then something is pushing it along.

The force needed to push up the incline is mgsinθ which is smaller than directly raising up , i.e., mg. This is mechanical advantage of the incline.
OK.

But how about the reaction force component mgcosθ if I hold the mass? If I hold it, it is offered by me rather than the incline surface.
Describe this situation. You are now on the frictionless incline holding the mass? What's pushing you up the incline?

It means the total force I need to spend is more. i.e. mgcosθ + mgsinθ

Hence, the ramp can save your force only if you pushing up the mass (the mgcosθ is done by the incline), not carrying it.

The force needed to handle a mass up a ramp varies on your lifting method. If you hold it
by your arms, you spend more. If you just push it up, it's saving your force.
Are you comparing:
- the force needed to push an object up a frictionless incline (= mgsinθ)
to
- the force needed to carry an object as you walk up an incline (with friction) (= mg)

If so, then sure, carrying an object up a ramp requires more force.

(There's no conservation law for force.)

of course: as log as the inclined plane is not vertical...
that's one reason the wheel (as "wagon wheel") is so useful.

push,carry,roll will each, in general, require a different force from you.

1. What is normal force on an inclined plane?

Normal force on an inclined plane refers to the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In the case of an inclined plane, the normal force is directed perpendicular to the plane and helps to support the weight of the object.

2. How does pushing a mass up an inclined plane differ from carrying a mass up the same incline?

When pushing a mass up an inclined plane, the normal force decreases as the angle of incline increases. This means that more of the force is directed parallel to the incline, making it harder to push the object. On the other hand, when carrying a mass up the same incline, the normal force remains constant and the force required to move the object remains the same regardless of the angle of incline.

3. What factors affect the normal force on an inclined plane?

The normal force on an inclined plane is affected by the angle of incline, the weight of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the incline. As the angle of incline increases, the normal force decreases, requiring more force to push the object up the incline. The weight of the object also affects the normal force, with heavier objects requiring more force to push up the incline. The coefficient of friction also plays a role, as a higher coefficient of friction will result in a higher normal force.

4. How does the normal force on an inclined plane affect the work done to move an object?

The normal force on an inclined plane affects the work done to move an object by increasing the amount of force required to push the object up the incline. As the normal force decreases with a steeper incline, more force is required to overcome the force of gravity and move the object up the incline, resulting in more work being done.

5. How can the normal force on an inclined plane be calculated?

The normal force on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula FN = mgsinθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of incline. This formula takes into account the weight of the object and the angle of incline to determine the normal force required to support the object on the incline.