Biasing NMOS using current mirror

In summary: Not sure if I understand your wording correctly. Are you wondering how there is a voltage gain given a constant current?The voltage gain would come from the constant current source.
salil87
Hi

I need a brief explanation on how a Current Mirror is used to Bias an NMOS using Constant Current Model. My Doubts are :-
* Where the input is given ?
* If the current remains constant how does it work ?
* If the current does not remain constant then why say constant current ?
Bit Confused. Little help needed. :)

Thanks
Salil

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure what "bias an NMOS" means. Could you be more specific?

Thanks for replying es1. By Biasing I mean setting the Qpoint of the NMOS using the current mirror i.e. setting Id constant. But I am not getting how the signal would be transferred from the input to the output. If Id remains constant what is the quantity that changes with the input signal? Coz i think since Id is set using constant current source ... it won't change. Not able to put the pieces together :-(. A Brief Explanation or a good doc will help me out :-). Thanks.

Thanks
Salil

Not entirely sure if I understand your wording correctly. Are you wondering how there is a voltage gain given a constant current?

sandy.bridge said:
Not entirely sure if I understand your wording correctly. Are you wondering how there is a voltage gain given a constant current?

Sorry for that :-(. But i guess i m a bit confused about how it works. May be that's why i can't frame my question well. My notes are not giving good explanation. I am just not getting the main idea how it works. If you have time sandy.bridge , could you pls explain me how there is voltage gain ? that would definitely work for me.

Thanks
Salil

Slides 2-4 explain the mirror concept pretty well I think.
http://www.aicdesign.org/SCNOTES/2010notes/Lect2UP160_(100325).pdf

On slide 4 is should be pretty trivial to find iI when it is set by a resistor from a constant source in the standard most basic configuration. It's just iI=(Vdd-Vgs)/Rref because the gate and drain are shorted.

And on slide 4 you can see that if the transistors are matched (in this case that means they have the same W & L) then iO=iI.

es1 said:
Slides 2-4 explain the mirror concept pretty well I think.
http://www.aicdesign.org/SCNOTES/2010notes/Lect2UP160_(100325).pdf

On slide 4 is should be pretty trivial to find iI when it is set by a resistor from a constant source in the standard most basic configuration. It's just iI=(Vdd-Vgs)/Rref because the gate and drain are shorted.

And on slide 4 you can see that if the transistors are matched (in this case that means they have the same W & L) then iO=iI.

Wow, Thanks. I got how the current mirror works. Phew! But still confused how the NMOS works when it is biased using constant current. :-)

Thanks
Salil

What is biasing NMOS using current mirror?

Biasing NMOS using current mirror is a technique used to set the operating point of a NMOS transistor. It involves using a current mirror circuit, which is a circuit that replicates the current of a reference transistor, to provide the bias current to the NMOS transistor.

Why is biasing NMOS using current mirror important?

Biasing NMOS using current mirror is important because it ensures that the NMOS transistor operates at its desired operating point, which is critical for its performance. It also helps to reduce variations in the transistor characteristics due to temperature and process variations.

How does biasing NMOS using current mirror work?

Biasing NMOS using current mirror works by using a reference transistor to generate a bias current, which is then mirrored to the NMOS transistor through a current mirror circuit. This allows the NMOS transistor to operate at the same current as the reference transistor, setting its operating point.

What are the advantages of biasing NMOS using current mirror?

There are several advantages to biasing NMOS using current mirror. Firstly, it provides a stable operating point for the NMOS transistor, ensuring consistent performance. Secondly, it reduces the effects of temperature and process variations on the transistor characteristics. Additionally, it allows for easier adjustments to the bias current compared to other biasing techniques.

Are there any limitations to biasing NMOS using current mirror?

One limitation of biasing NMOS using current mirror is that it requires a reference transistor, which adds complexity and cost to the overall circuit. Additionally, it may not be suitable for applications where a precise bias current is not critical.