Bethe-formula VS SRIM for Uran in Polycarbonate

• Thread starter Swain
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed confusion with the charge and stopping power values in simulations of polycarbonate foils irradiated by U-ions. The speaker shared their aim for the Bragg-curve and sought clarification on the accuracy of their results. Suggestions were provided on how to handle the variations in results and validate them through experimental data.
Swain
Hello everybody,

I investigate polycarbonate foils (makrofol) of 90 μm thickness irradiated by U-ions with a charge of z= +28 and a specific energy of 11.4MeV/nucleon.

My problem is that in the Srim simulations the charge z is not questioned (or needed?), whereas the stopping power (-dE/dx) in the Bethe-formula is proportional to z^2.

I compared the dE/dx values of SRIM (srim.org) with the Bethe-Calculator of Sven Geier (http://www.sgeier.net/tools/bbt.html) and my own Bethe-calculations, they all vary.

My aim is the Bragg-curve, but therefore i would like to have the correct values/description of the stopping power.

Im sorry for my bad english.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your research on polycarbonate foils with us. It seems like you are facing some confusion with the charge and stopping power values in your simulations. I am not an expert in this specific field, but I will try my best to provide some insights and suggestions.

Firstly, it is important to understand that SRIM and the Bethe-Calculator use different methods and assumptions to calculate the stopping power. SRIM uses a Monte Carlo simulation approach while the Bethe-Calculator uses the Bethe-Bloch formula. Therefore, some variation in the results is expected.

Regarding the charge value, it is possible that SRIM does not require the charge input because it is already included in the stopping power calculation through the mass stopping power (dE/dx) calculation. However, I suggest double-checking with the SRIM manual or contacting their support team for clarification.

In terms of your aim for the Bragg-curve, I would suggest using the results from your own Bethe-calculations as a reference. You can also try to vary the charge value in your simulations to see how it affects the results. Additionally, it would be helpful to compare your results with experimental data, if available, for validation.

I hope this helps in some way. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the Bethe formula and how does it compare to SRIM for Uranium in Polycarbonate?

The Bethe formula is a mathematical equation that describes the energy loss of a charged particle as it travels through a material. It takes into account factors such as the particle's charge, energy, and the atomic structure of the material. SRIM, on the other hand, is a computer program that uses Monte Carlo simulations to calculate the energy loss of particles in a material. Both methods can be used to predict the behavior of Uranium particles in Polycarbonate, but the Bethe formula is more accurate for lower energy particles while SRIM is better for higher energy particles.

2. Which method is more commonly used for studying Uranium in Polycarbonate?

Both the Bethe formula and SRIM are commonly used for studying Uranium in Polycarbonate, but it ultimately depends on the specific research goals and available resources. Some scientists may prefer the simplicity and accuracy of the Bethe formula, while others may prefer the versatility and visualizations provided by SRIM.

3. How do the results from Bethe formula and SRIM compare to experimental data?

The results from Bethe formula and SRIM are usually in good agreement with experimental data. However, it is important to note that these methods are not perfect and may not always accurately predict the behavior of Uranium particles in Polycarbonate. It is always best to validate the results with experimental data.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Bethe formula or SRIM for Uranium in Polycarbonate?

Both the Bethe formula and SRIM have their limitations when it comes to studying Uranium in Polycarbonate. The Bethe formula is only accurate for low energy particles and may not take into account certain effects, such as multiple scattering. SRIM may also have limitations when it comes to simulating complex structures or high energy particles. It is important for scientists to be aware of these limitations and use the appropriate method for their specific research goals.

5. Can Bethe formula and SRIM be used for other materials besides Polycarbonate?

Yes, both the Bethe formula and SRIM can be used for other materials besides Polycarbonate. The Bethe formula is a general equation that can be applied to any material, while SRIM has a database of different materials that can be used for simulations. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the specific properties of the material being studied.