Is mathematics a young man's game?

In summary, the author is feeling depressed about his future in the mathematical sciences and wonders if he is a Fields Medalist later on. He is not a prodigy like Terry Tao, Noam Elkies, or Charles Fefferman, nor has he succeeded at mathematical Olympiads before the age of 18. Many great mathematicians finish their PhDs by his current age, and he fears he will not be able to access the higher levels of mathematics before he is too old.
ivan77 said:
A couple of things come to mind:

“Genius is 1% talent and 99% percent hard work...”
― Albert Einstein

And predating Einstein:

“Men give me credit for some genius. All the genius I have is this. When I have a subject in mind. I study it profoundly. Day and night it is before me. My mind becomes pervaded with it... the effort which I have made is what people are pleased to call the fruit of genius. It is the fruit of labor and thought.”

Alexander Hamilton

Physics news on Phys.org
That's why I was doing it jk, I couldn't live on my postdoc salary. And every day I was expected to carry off 80,000 pounds of meat, each piece weighing from 150 to 300 pounds while sliding in slippery fat. I definitely earned it. And there was one homicide per year among my 15 or so peers.

You have pointed exactly the choice I faced: continue doing that until I was as old and bent down as the men around me, some still lugging at the same pay in their 50's, assuming I was one of the ones not murdered sooner or sent to prison,

or try another career. The postdoc pay was indeed less at first, but now I am retired on a pension not offered to former luggers. Obviously no one goes into research for the postdoc pay. You have to look past that. If you can't, then research is not for you. I'm not saying its an easy or lucrative life. I'm just observing it is not impossible for someone gifted who really knows he wants it.

In 1981 I was an NSF postdoc at Harvard working for $15,000/year, to support a family of 4 in Harvard square, and that's after getting a PhD and winning a prize offered only to 10 top young researchers per year. But it was worth it to me.

This thread has never been about the competitiveness of academic pay, only whether it is too late or too far out of reach for the OP. He didn't ask whether it was preferable to private industry. For many people that would be "no". But thanks for brining it up. I would not want to encourage him to pursue a career he would later regret.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right

<h2>1. Is mathematics really a young man's game?</h2><p>There is a common belief that mathematics is a field dominated by young men. However, this is not entirely true. While there may be a higher proportion of young men in mathematics, there are also many successful and influential mathematicians who are older or female.</p><h2>2. Why is there a perception that mathematics is a young man's game?</h2><p>This perception may stem from the fact that many famous mathematicians, such as Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein, made their groundbreaking discoveries at a young age. Additionally, there may be societal biases and stereotypes that contribute to the belief that mathematics is a field for young men.</p><h2>3. Are there any advantages to being a young mathematician?</h2><p>There are certainly advantages to starting a career in mathematics at a young age. Younger mathematicians may have more energy and enthusiasm for their work, and may also have more time to dedicate to research and learning. However, these advantages do not necessarily make mathematics a "young man's game."</p><h2>4. Can older mathematicians still make significant contributions to the field?</h2><p>Absolutely. Many mathematicians continue to make important contributions to the field well into their later years. In fact, some mathematicians argue that with age comes wisdom and a deeper understanding of complex mathematical concepts.</p><h2>5. What can be done to encourage more diversity in mathematics?</h2><p>To promote diversity in mathematics, it is important to challenge and break down societal stereotypes and biases. This can be done by providing equal opportunities and support for individuals of all ages, genders, and backgrounds to pursue mathematics. Additionally, promoting and highlighting the achievements of diverse mathematicians can inspire others to join the field.</p>

1. Is mathematics really a young man's game?

There is a common belief that mathematics is a field dominated by young men. However, this is not entirely true. While there may be a higher proportion of young men in mathematics, there are also many successful and influential mathematicians who are older or female.

2. Why is there a perception that mathematics is a young man's game?

This perception may stem from the fact that many famous mathematicians, such as Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein, made their groundbreaking discoveries at a young age. Additionally, there may be societal biases and stereotypes that contribute to the belief that mathematics is a field for young men.

3. Are there any advantages to being a young mathematician?

There are certainly advantages to starting a career in mathematics at a young age. Younger mathematicians may have more energy and enthusiasm for their work, and may also have more time to dedicate to research and learning. However, these advantages do not necessarily make mathematics a "young man's game."

4. Can older mathematicians still make significant contributions to the field?

Absolutely. Many mathematicians continue to make important contributions to the field well into their later years. In fact, some mathematicians argue that with age comes wisdom and a deeper understanding of complex mathematical concepts.

5. What can be done to encourage more diversity in mathematics?

To promote diversity in mathematics, it is important to challenge and break down societal stereotypes and biases. This can be done by providing equal opportunities and support for individuals of all ages, genders, and backgrounds to pursue mathematics. Additionally, promoting and highlighting the achievements of diverse mathematicians can inspire others to join the field.