Determination of the final temperature inside a calorimeter

In summary, a 5.33g piece of Cu metal is heated to 372.85K and then dropped into a calorimeter with 99.53g of water at 295.75K. The final temperature inside the system can be found by using the equation (T2-T1)*Cp*m = Q, where Cp[Cu(s)]=0.385 J/g*K and Cp[water]=4.184 J/g*K. The heat lost by the Cu must equal the heat gained by the water, and using this equation, the final temperature can be calculated. The entropy changes can then be found using the final temperature.
soaring206
Okay, I'm working on some pchem problems and I'm stuck on this one question...

A 5.33g piece of Cu metal is heated to 372.85K in boiling water, then dropped into a calorimeter containing 99.53g of water at 295.75K. The calorimeter is sealed to the outside environment, and the temperature equalizes. Cp[Cu(s)]=0.385 J/g*K, Cp[water]=4.184 J/g*K. What is the final temperature inside the system? What is the entropy change of the Cu metal? What is the entropy change of the liquid water? What is the total entropy change in the system?

I have absolutely no idea how to find the final temp of the system. Once I have that temp, I think I can figure out the entropy changes, but if someone could point me in the right direction for finding the final temperature, that would be great. Thank you in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hint: (T2-T1)*Cp*m = Q. The heat lost by the Cu must equal the heat gained by the H2O.

Thanks, that helped a lot...I think I've figured it out now! :smile:

1. What is a calorimeter and how does it work?

A calorimeter is a device used to measure the amount of heat released or absorbed in a chemical reaction. It works by surrounding the reaction with a known quantity of water and measuring the temperature change of the water.

2. How is the final temperature inside a calorimeter determined?

The final temperature inside a calorimeter is determined by measuring the initial temperature of the water and the reactants, and then calculating the change in temperature after the reaction has taken place. This final temperature is then used to calculate the heat released or absorbed by the reaction.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the final temperature inside a calorimeter?

The accuracy of the final temperature inside a calorimeter can be affected by factors such as heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of reactants, and the use of an imperfect insulating material for the calorimeter.

4. How can heat loss to the surroundings be minimized in a calorimeter experiment?

Heat loss to the surroundings can be minimized by using a well-insulated calorimeter, stirring the reactants continuously to ensure complete mixing, and conducting the experiment in a controlled environment with minimal temperature fluctuations.

5. What is the importance of determining the final temperature inside a calorimeter?

The final temperature inside a calorimeter is important because it allows for the calculation of the heat released or absorbed in a chemical reaction. This information is crucial in understanding the energy changes that occur during a reaction and can be used to determine the efficiency of the reaction.