Force of attraction between proton and electron

In summary, The force of attraction between a proton and an electron in a hydrogen atom, if they are 5.00 x 10^-11m apart, can be calculated using the equation F=kQ1Q2/r^2, where the charges for both particles are equal to 1.6 x 10^-19C. The constant k and the separation distance r are also needed to complete the calculation. The confusion about the charges being the same arises due to the convention of putting a negative sign for the electron's charge.
GRAvit__

Homework Statement

What is the force of attraction between a proton and an electron in a hydrogen atom, if they are 5.00 x 10^-11m apart?

Homework Equations

F=kQ1Q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to go from here since i don't know the charge of the proton or electron. I just started the unit on electricity and am having a hard time with the first exercise sheet

Thanks for any help you can give me

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to refer to you data book to get the charge on an electron and a proton.
Your equation is correct

Ok i went through it again so is the elementary charge be considered the proton charge = 1.60 x 10^-19 and electrical charge would be 1 C = 6.24 x 10^18?

You have it...the charges are equal and are 1.6 x 10^-19C
The separation (r) = 5 x 10^-11m
You need the constant,k, then you can complete the calculation.

Ok i finally got thanks

Just one thing is confusing me and that is how the proton and the electron have the same electrical charge? I was under the impression they were different or atleast the electron had a (-) ?

GRAvit__ said:
Ok i finally got thanks

Just one thing is confusing me and that is how the proton and the electron have the same electrical charge? I was under the impression they were different or atleast the electron had a (-) ?

Charge is same. For convention we put a negative.

1. What is the force of attraction between a proton and an electron?

The force of attraction between a proton and an electron is known as the electromagnetic force. It is one of the four fundamental forces in nature and is responsible for holding atoms together.

2. How does the force of attraction between a proton and an electron affect the stability of an atom?

The force of attraction between a proton and an electron is crucial for the stability of an atom. This force balances the repulsive forces between protons in the nucleus, allowing the atom to remain intact.

3. How is the force of attraction between a proton and an electron related to the concept of electric charge?

The force of attraction between a proton and an electron is a result of their opposite electric charges. Protons have a positive charge, while electrons have a negative charge. Opposite charges attract each other, leading to the force of attraction.

4. What is the strength of the force of attraction between a proton and an electron?

The strength of the force of attraction between a proton and an electron is determined by the distance between them and the magnitude of their charges. This force is very strong at short distances, but it decreases rapidly as the distance between the two particles increases.

5. How does the force of attraction between a proton and an electron contribute to the behavior of matter?

The force of attraction between a proton and an electron is responsible for many properties of matter, such as electrical conductivity, chemical bonding, and the formation of molecules. Without this force, matter would not be able to exist in its current form.