Could Mars Bring Deadly Bugs to Earth?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, some space scientists are suggesting that a new menace might soon join the pantheon of pandemics threatening your bodily wellbeing: bugs from space. However, Nasa has already thought of this and has a plan in place to deal with the problem. Commercial spaceflight is also possible, which thrills me.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... But some space scientists are suggesting that a new menace might soon join the pantheon of pandemics threatening your bodily wellbeing: bugs from space.

The exotic warning appeared last week in Science, where researchers reported on discoveries made by Nasa's Mars Exploration Rovers. In the last year, these small, motorised geology labs have beamed back convincing evidence that water once formed pools and puddles on the red planet.

...The problem is this: sometime in the next decade, Nasa hopes to use robots to dig up samples of Mars, and bring them back to Earth. ...[continued]
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/research/story/0,9865,1369270,00.html

I was especially struck by this
...Well, it should comfort you to know that Nasa has already thought of this. In the 1970s, when men were going to the moon, Nasa worried about lunar infection, ...

I remember listening to one of the astronauts who went to the moon...I think Armstrong...who years later commented on this. After his lunar trip and while still in biological isolation, one day he looked down and saw that ants were crossing the isolation barrier through a small crack in the concrete. He was laughing about this but also emphasizing the need for extreme caution wrt potential threats like this. Mistakes happen. If moonbugs could have killed everyone on earth, they might have. A sobering thought, I thought. :biggrin:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Life from other planets? The scientific possibilities for this are so enormous I think it's worth the risk.

Smurf said:
Life from other planets? The scientific possibilities for this are so enormous I think it's worth the risk.

Until the martian cousin of smallpox that wiped out intelligent life on that planet arrives here! :cry: :uhh:

That said, the idea of exterrestrial life thrills me. Just imagine how different life would be having evolved in such a different environment. They worry about bacteria, but the truth is there could be hazardous life formswe can't even imagine.

So exciting.

And don't forget SpaceShipOne! Commercial spaceflight is possible!

What are "Monsters from outer space"?

"Monsters from outer space" refer to fictional or hypothetical creatures that are believed to originate from other worlds or planets outside of Earth.

Are there any real "Monsters from outer space"?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of "Monsters from outer space". The concept of extraterrestrial life is still being studied and researched, but there is no concrete proof of any alien creatures.

Why are there so many movies and stories about "Monsters from outer space"?

The idea of "Monsters from outer space" has been a popular theme in science fiction and horror genres for many years. It allows for imaginative and creative storytelling, and also taps into people's fear and curiosity about the unknown.

Could "Monsters from outer space" ever invade or attack Earth?

While it is highly unlikely for alien creatures to invade or attack Earth, it is always a possibility that cannot be completely ruled out. However, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that such an event is imminent or even possible.

How can we protect ourselves from potential "Monsters from outer space"?

Since there is no concrete evidence of the existence of "Monsters from outer space", there is no need to take any specific actions to protect ourselves from them. However, as a general precaution, it is always important to continue exploring and understanding the universe, as well as developing technologies that could aid in potential encounters with extraterrestrial life.