Experimental or theoretical physics?

In summary: I think it's a good starting point.In summary, the speaker is a high school student interested in physics and is exploring careers in the field. They are curious about the difference between experimental and theoretical physics and what jobs are available in each. The speaker is informed that they do not need to make a decision about their specific focus until their third year of undergraduate studies, but should have a good idea by the start of their fourth year when applying to graduate programs. The difference between experimental and theoretical physics is explained using the example of a toy car falling down a ramp.
spockjones20
I am currently a high school student who is very interested in all of science in general, but physics in particular is most intriguing to me. While perusing possible careers in physics, I have found that most are split into either experimental or theoretical. I was wondering if you would care to explain the difference between the two, as well as what jobs might be expected in each field. Also, is it really a pressing decision that I need to make soon, or can it be put off until graduate work/dissertations? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
spockjones20 said:
I am currently a high school student who is very interested in all of science in general, but physics in particular is most intriguing to me. While perusing possible careers in physics, I have found that most are split into either experimental or theoretical. I was wondering if you would care to explain the difference between the two, as well as what jobs might be expected in each field. Also, is it really a pressing decision that I need to make soon, or can it be put off until graduate work/dissertations? Thanks!

Assuming you're in the US and plan to do the usual 4 year BS, straight to grad school route, you don't really need to figure this out until your third year of undergraduate work at a university. By the first semester of your fourth year, you'll need to apply to graduate programs which, by that point, you want to have a very good idea of exactly what you want to do in graduate school.

As a simple example, let's say you have an experiment where you have a toy car falling down a ramp. The experimentalist designs the car, sets up the experiment, runs the experiment, and collects the data. The theoretical physicist tries to determine the laws of nature that are responsible for the car moving in the way that it did. It's somewhat simplistic and I think few people can consider themselves purely theorists or purely experimentalists

1. What is the difference between experimental and theoretical physics?

Experimental physics is the branch of physics that involves designing and conducting experiments to test theories and gather data. Theoretical physics, on the other hand, uses mathematical models and equations to explain and predict the behavior of the physical world.

2. What is the role of mathematics in theoretical physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in theoretical physics as it provides the language and tools for describing and understanding the laws and principles of the physical world. Theoretical physicists use mathematical equations to make predictions and test their theories.

3. How do experimental and theoretical physics work together?

Experimental and theoretical physics work together in a symbiotic relationship. Experimental results provide data that can be used to test and refine theoretical models, while theoretical predictions guide the design of experiments and help interpret the results.

4. What are some common tools and techniques used in experimental physics?

Some common tools and techniques used in experimental physics include various types of sensors and detectors, particle accelerators, and advanced imaging techniques. Scientists also use statistical analysis and computer modeling to analyze and interpret experimental data.

5. What are some current areas of research in theoretical physics?

Some current areas of research in theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, string theory, and cosmology. Scientists are also studying complex systems and emergent phenomena, such as chaos theory and self-organization, to better understand the behavior of complex systems in nature.