Back-projected ray in homogeneous coordinates

In summary, the equation $y(\lambda) = P^+_0 x_0 + \lambda c_0$ is a parametrization of the line through two points, $P^+_0 x_0$ and $c_0$, using the parameter $\lambda$.
tdomhan
suppose I got a projective camera model. for this model I would like to back-project a ray through a point in the image plane. I know that the equation for this is the following:
$$
y(\lambda) = P^+_0 x_0 + \lambda c_0
$$
where [itex]P^+_0[/itex]denotes the pseudoinverse of the camera matrix.
[itex]x_0[/itex] the point on the image plane and $c_0$ the center of the camera. (This is taking from the book "Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision" page 162)

Now I don't fully get this equation. I get that [itex]P^+_0 x_0[/itex] results in a point on the line we are looking for. Hence we have two points that we can use for constructing a line. However I don't get the parametrization using [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Why is the equation not in the form like:
$$y(\lambda) = (1-\lambda) a + \lambda b$$

Any help in understanding the original equation of the resulting ray would be appreciated! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you provided is a parametrization of the line through two points, like the equation you provided. In this case, $P^+_0 x_0$ is the point $a$ in your equation and $c_0$ is the point $b$. The parameter $\lambda$ is used to calculate a point on the line for any value of $\lambda$. For example, if $\lambda = 0$, then $y(0) = P^+_0 x_0$ and if $\lambda = 1$, then $y(1) = c_0$. Thus, the equation is a way of expressing the line as a function of $\lambda$.

1. What is a back-projected ray in homogeneous coordinates?

A back-projected ray in homogeneous coordinates is a mathematical concept used in computer graphics and computer vision. It represents a line in 3D space that originates from the camera's optical center and passes through a specific pixel on the camera's image plane.

2. How is a back-projected ray calculated?

A back-projected ray is calculated by first converting the 2D pixel coordinates on the camera's image plane into homogeneous coordinates. This is done by adding a third coordinate with a value of 1. Then, the inverse of the camera's projection matrix is applied to the homogeneous coordinates to obtain the 3D coordinates of the back-projected ray.

3. What is the purpose of using homogeneous coordinates for back-projected rays?

Homogeneous coordinates allow for a more compact and efficient representation of 3D points and lines. They also make it easier to perform transformations such as rotations and translations on the back-projected ray.

4. Can back-projected rays intersect with objects in the 3D scene?

Yes, back-projected rays can intersect with objects in the 3D scene. The intersection point can be calculated by finding the intersection of the back-projected ray with the object's surface. This is useful for tasks such as 3D reconstruction and ray tracing.

5. How are back-projected rays used in computer vision applications?

Back-projected rays are used in computer vision applications for tasks such as 3D reconstruction, object tracking, and camera calibration. They provide a way to map 2D image coordinates to 3D world coordinates, which is essential for understanding the 3D structure of a scene from 2D images.