Need high heat/high delectric resin for stainless steel bonding

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a material to line the walls of a stainless steel box that is being used for a laser component prototype. The material needs to be white in color to prevent UV light from affecting the steel, withstand high temperatures of up to 150 C, and have a shore durometer of ~90D and good dielectric strength. The suggestion of using polyurethane has been considered but has not met all the requirements.
Khowe9
I am working on a prototype for a laser component. We have a stainless steel box, that is flooded with water for cooling. There is current and UV light in the box, so to isolate the current from seeing the steel I am lining the walls, about 1.5 mm thick, with a resin.

I'm looking for something that would be white in color, or dyed white, due to UV light. Also, we need something that can handle 150 C max temperature, as well as have a shore durometer of ~90D. Lastly, something with good dielectric strength.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a material?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've been looking at polyurethane but haven't found anything that meets all the requirements. Thanks!

1. What is the best type of resin for bonding stainless steel?

The best type of resin for bonding stainless steel is an epoxy resin. Epoxy resins have a high strength and high heat resistance, making them ideal for bonding stainless steel.

2. What is the maximum temperature that the resin can withstand?

The maximum temperature that the resin can withstand depends on the specific type of resin used. However, most epoxy resins have a maximum temperature resistance of around 300-350 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Can the resin be used for outdoor applications?

Yes, epoxy resins can be used for outdoor applications as they have a high weather and UV resistance. However, it is important to choose a resin specifically designed for outdoor use to ensure the best results.

4. How does the resin bond to stainless steel?

Epoxy resins bond to stainless steel through a chemical reaction between the resin and a hardener. This creates a strong, durable bond between the two materials.

5. Is surface preparation necessary before using the resin for bonding stainless steel?

Yes, surface preparation is crucial for achieving a strong bond between the resin and stainless steel. The surface should be clean, dry, and free of any contaminants such as oil or grease. Sanding or roughening the surface can also help improve adhesion.