Pressure and torque in water without external gravity

In summary: Caculate force and torque for y=500 to 800// this is the right vertical line y=500; for(x=800;x<1000;x++) { Fx=0;Fy=0; for(i=0; i<1000; i++) { for(j=999; j>=0;
Gh778
I would like to calculate the torque on the air object under water. The pressure is only give from water (water attrack itself), there is no other gravity (like Earth for example) or other object around. Without air, in the center the gravity is 0 I think. With asymetric air volume, I think the pressure at left is lower than at right like it's impossible I would like to calculate this torque. How can I do ?

Attachments

• wa2.png
    wa2.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gh778

Now this geometry is simple and no 3D imagination is required!
But without gravity, pressure is the same everywhere through the water unless the water is acceleration. Furthermore what keeps the air region in that geometry? there must be a rigid container containing the air. Your problem becomes the simple case of an arbitrary rigid object withing a uniform pressure.

For example, take a planet (1000 km of diameter) of water with big air object inside. Like that we can calculate the torque because the gravity is not small.

The air object cannot experience a torque as it isn't rigid. It will deform and rupture under gravity, or if there is no gravity, it would form a sphere due to surface tension. As it does form a sphere I guess you would get boundary layers of air moving with the water as the interface evolves, but there can't be torque because the air has no resistance to such a shear stress.

I think the water and the object would separate and the water form a perfec sphere after pushing out the air/object.

My question is to know if there is a torque or not, at start the object was small but some people don't see gravity effect. You can imagine an object big enough for have some gravity effect and small enough to be attach on Earth, 1km for example. A sphere with water inside, the air object seems to have a torque.

My program, the torque is big compared to water force:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

//tab for contain all point, a point = a molecule of water for example
double t[1000][1000];

int main(void)
{

int i,j,x,y; // used for loops

double
d=0,
Fx=0, // local force x
Fy=0, // local force y
angle=0,
R=0, // radius
xx=0, // local x force
yy=0, // local y force
id=0, // simulate the gravity formula: 1/d²

// forces on water
TFx1=0, // Torque on left vertical line from direct force
TFy1=0, // Torque on left vertical line from pressure
TFx2=0, // Torque on right vertical line from direct force

// forces on air object
TFy2=0, // Torque on right vertical line from pressure
TFx3=0, // Torque on slope line from direct force
TFy3=0; // Torque on slope line from pressure

printf("\nStart\n"); // put 1 in tab t if there is a molecule of water
for(i=0;i<1000;i++)
{
for(j=0;j<1000;j++)
{
//in the circle put 1
if(((i-500)*(i-500)+(j-500)*(j-500))<=250000)
t[j]=1;
else // outside the circle put 0
t[j]=0;
// put 0 for the air block part of circle
if(((i-500)*(i-500)+(j-500)*(j-500))>=78400 && ((i-500)*(i-500)+(j-500)*(j-500))<=90000 && i>500 && i<750 && j>500)
{
t[j]=0;
}

}
}

// put 0 in the vertical volume
for(i=480; i<520; i++)
for(j=500; j<800;j++)
t[j]=0;
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Caculate force and torque for x=480, y from 500 to 800
// this is the left vertical line
x=480;
for(y=500;y<800;y++)
{
Fx=0;Fy=0;
for(i=0; i<1000; i++)
{
for(j=999; j>=0;j--)
{
d=sqrt(pow(fabs(i-x),2.0)+pow(fabs(j-y),2.0));
if(d!=0)
{
id=(double)(t[j])/d/d;
angle=fabs(atan((fabs(j-y)/fabs(i-x))));
if(i>=x && j>=y)
{
xx=id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=id*fabs(sin(angle));
}
else if(i<x && j>=y)
{
xx=-id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=id*fabs(sin(angle));
}
else if(i<=x && j<y)
{
xx=-id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=-id*fabs(sin(angle));
}
else if(i>x && j<y)
{
xx=id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=-id*fabs(sin(angle));
} Fx+=xx;
Fy+=yy;
}
//printf("\nx=%i, y=%i, i=%i, j=%i, d=%f, id=%f, s=%f, xx=%f, yy=%f, angle=%f, Fx=%f, Fy=%f", x, y, i, j, d, id, s, xx, yy, angle, Fx, Fy);
//system("Pause");
}
// printf("\nx=%i, y=%i, i=%i, j=%i, d=%f, id=%f, s=%f, xx=%f, yy=%f, angle=%f, Fx=%f, Fy=%f", x, y, i, j, d, id, s, xx, yy, angle, Fx, Fy);
// system("Pause");
}
R=((double)y-500.0)/10000.0;
TFx1+=Fx*R;
TFy1=TFy1+(TFy1+Fy)*R;
//printf("\nFy=%f, R=%f, TFy=%f", Fy, R, TFy);
//system("Pause");
}

printf("\nTFx=%f, TFy=%f", TFx1, -TFy1);

// Calculate forces and torque for x=520, y from 500 to 780
// This is the right vertical line
x=520;
for(y=500;y<780;y++)
{
Fx=0;Fy=0;
for(i=0; i<1000; i++)
{
for(j=999; j>=0;j--)
{
if(d!=0)
{
id=(double)(t[j])/d/d;
if(i>=x && j>=y)
{
xx=id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=id*fabs(sin(angle));
}
else if(i<x && j>=y)
{
xx=-id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=id*fabs(sin(angle));
}
else if(i<=x && j<y)
{
xx=-id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=-id*fabs(sin(angle));
}
else if(i>x && j<y)
{
xx=id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=-id*fabs(sin(angle));
} Fx+=xx;
Fy+=yy;
}
//printf("\nx=%i, y=%i, i=%i, j=%i, d=%f, id=%f, s=%f, xx=%f, yy=%f, angle=%f, Fx=%f, Fy=%f", x, y, i, j, d, id, s, xx, yy, angle, Fx, Fy);
//system("Pause");
}
// printf("\nx=%i, y=%i, i=%i, j=%i, d=%f, id=%f, s=%f, xx=%f, yy=%f, angle=%f, Fx=%f, Fy=%f", x, y, i, j, d, id, s, xx, yy, angle, Fx, Fy);
// system("Pause");
}
TFx2+=Fx*R;
TFy2=TFy2+(TFy2+Fy)*R;
// printf("\ny=%i, Fx=%f, Fy=%f", y, Fx, Fy);
// system("Pause");
}
printf("\nTFx=%f, TFy=%f", TFx2, TFy2);
// x=750, y from 126 to 165
// This is theslope right line of air block
x=750;
for(y=626;y<665;y++)
{
Fx=0;Fy=0;
for(i=0; i<1000; i++)
{
for(j=999; j>=0;j--)
{
if(d!=0)
{
id=(double)(t[j])/d/d;
if(i>=x && j>=y)
{
xx=id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=id*fabs(sin(angle));
}
else if(i<x && j>=y)
{
xx=-id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=id*fabs(sin(angle));
}
else if(i<=x && j<y)
{
xx=-id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=-id*fabs(sin(angle));
}
else if(i>x && j<y)
{
xx=id*fabs(cos(angle));
yy=-id*fabs(sin(angle));
} Fx+=xx;
Fy+=yy;
}
//system("Pause");
}
// system("Pause");
}

TFx3+=Fx*R;

TFy3=TFy3+(TFy3+Fy)*R;

// printf("\nTFx=%f, TFy=%f, T=%f", TFx, TFy, T);
// system("Pause");

}

printf("\nTFx=%f, TFy=%f", TFx3, TFy3);
system("Pause");
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
return 0;
}

Last edited:

1. How does pressure change in water without external gravity?

In a zero-gravity environment, pressure in water remains constant throughout, as there is no force acting on the water to cause it to sink or rise. This is known as isobaric pressure.

2. Can torque still be applied in water without external gravity?

Yes, torque can still be applied in water without external gravity. Torque is the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate, and it can be applied in any direction, regardless of the presence or absence of gravity.

3. How does buoyancy work in water without external gravity?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object immersed in it. In a zero-gravity environment, buoyancy still exists, but it is not affected by gravity. Instead, it is solely dependent on the density of the fluid and the volume of the object.

4. Will objects behave differently in water without external gravity?

Yes, objects will behave differently in water without external gravity. In the absence of gravity, objects will not sink or rise, but they will remain suspended in the same position. This is due to the balance between the forces of buoyancy and the weight of the object.

5. How can pressure and torque in water without external gravity be measured?

Pressure and torque in water without external gravity can be measured using specialized equipment such as pressure gauges and torque sensors. These instruments are designed to function in zero-gravity environments and can accurately measure the respective forces.