Haow is magnetic permeability measured?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of permeability and how it is measured independently of geometry and configuration. The speaker's initial misunderstanding was due to assuming permeability should link H_0 to B instead of H to B. The solution is to measure H in a closed magnetic circuit with zero stray field. The speaker now understands the relationship and thanks the other person for their explanation.
Hassan2
My research is related to magnetism and I'm supposed to have a good understanding of permeability but I'm afraid I don't.

My question is that how is permeability of a mater measured so that it becomes independent of the geometry and configuration?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to measure it for an advantageous geometry. I think your problem is more due to assuming that permeability should link H_0 to B and not H to B, as is standard.

You are right. My problem was mainly due to the wrong assumption. But then how can we measure H ? I remember once my professor was explaining that the sample should close a magnetic circuit so that the stray field becomes zero, then we have H=H_{0}. Since then I was wondering if we use the sample in a circuit with larger air gaps, how the measured permeability would be useful. I think now I understand the relation. Thanks a lot.

1. What is magnetic permeability?

Magnetic permeability is the measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. It is a property that determines the material's response to an applied magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic permeability measured?

Magnetic permeability is typically measured using a device called a permeameter. The material to be tested is placed in the permeameter and subjected to a magnetic field. The resulting magnetization is then measured and used to calculate the material's magnetic permeability.

3. What units are used to measure magnetic permeability?

The SI unit for magnetic permeability is henry per meter (H/m). However, the most commonly used unit is the relative permeability, which is a dimensionless quantity.

4. What factors can affect the measurement of magnetic permeability?

The temperature, composition, and microstructure of the material can all affect the measurement of magnetic permeability. Additionally, the strength and direction of the applied magnetic field can also impact the results.

5. Why is the measurement of magnetic permeability important?

The measurement of magnetic permeability is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as materials science, electromagnetics, and geophysics. It helps determine the suitability of a material for specific applications and can also provide insights into the properties of different materials.