Constrain forces and virtual displacements

In summary, there is a relationship between constraint forces and virtual displacements where the first statement is always true, and the second statement can be proven using the total force and momentum equations.
ralqs
I've read conflicting descriptions of the relationship between constraint forces and virtual displacements that I'd like to clarify.

Suppose [itex]\vec{C}_i[/itex] is the constraint force on the ith particle, and [itex]\delta \vec{r}_i[/itex] is its virtual displacement. Is it the case that [itex]\vec{C}_i\cdot\vec{r}_i=0[/itex]? Or can one only say that [itex]\sum_i \vec{C}_i\cdot\vec{r}_i=0[/itex]?

The first would be true, as I see it, if the virtual displacements were always perpendicular to the constraint forces, even if the constraints were moving...or does the movement of the constraint even matter if time is kept constant?

And if the first isn't true, how would one prove the second formula?

This evidently doesn't matter for the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equations, but I would still like to clear this confusion up.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first statement is true: \vec{C}_i\cdot\vec{r}_i=0. This is because the constraint force is always perpendicular to the virtual displacement, regardless of the motion of the constraint. To prove the second statement, one can use the fact that the total force on the system is equal to the time derivative of the momentum, and thus the sum of the constraint forces will be equal to the rate of change of the momentum. This can be expressed mathematically as \sum_i \vec{C}_i\cdot\vec{r}_i=\frac{d}{dt}\sum_i\vec{p}_i, which implies that \sum_i \vec{C}_i\cdot\vec{r}_i=0.

1. What are constrain forces and virtual displacements?

Constrain forces refer to the forces that are applied to a system in order to restrict its motion or maintain its shape. Virtual displacements, on the other hand, are hypothetical infinitesimal displacements that are used to analyze the stability and equilibrium of a system.

2. How are constrain forces and virtual displacements related?

Constrain forces and virtual displacements are closely related in the sense that they both play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of a physical system. Constrain forces are used to restrict the motion of a system, while virtual displacements are used to analyze the equilibrium of the system under those constrain forces.

3. What is the principle of virtual work?

The principle of virtual work states that for a system in static equilibrium, the total virtual work done by all external forces and constrain forces must be equal to zero. This principle is used to analyze the stability and equilibrium of a system by considering the virtual displacements and constrain forces acting on it.

4. How is the principle of virtual work applied in engineering?

The principle of virtual work is applied in engineering to analyze the stability and equilibrium of structures and machines. It is used to determine the amount of constrain forces needed to maintain the desired shape and motion of a system, and also to identify potential failure points in a structure.

5. Can the principle of virtual work be applied to non-static systems?

No, the principle of virtual work can only be applied to systems in static equilibrium. In non-static systems, the forces and displacements are constantly changing, making it impossible to accurately calculate the virtual work done. In such cases, other methods such as the principle of virtual power may be used.