What is a good aperture for a telescope collecting ISO far-infrared radiation?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Quagz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    telescope
In summary, an aperture for a telescope collecting ISO Far-infrared radiation is different for every telescope and dependent on the radiation being collected.
Quagz
a bit random to this but could any of you give me an example aperture for a telescope collecting ISO far-infrared radiation. (to assist a theory about Andromeda)

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Quagz said:
a bit random to this but could any of you give me an example aperture for a telescope collecting ISO far-infrared radiation. (to assist a theory about Andromeda)

An example aperture? What do you mean?

The aperture (light/radiation gathering area in meter squared) of a telescope collecting ISO Far-infrared radiation :)

Quagz said:
The aperture (light/radiation gathering area in meter squared) of a telescope collecting ISO Far-infrared radiation :)

Yes, I know what an aperture is, but I don't know what you mean by asking for an example aperture. I'm sure apertures range from a few millimeters to multi-meter designs.

The Aperture is different for every telescope depending on what radiation it is gathering, i kneed to know an aperture for a telescope gathering ISO Far-infrared radiation.

Quagz said:
The Aperture is different for every telescope depending on what radiation it is gathering, i kneed to know an aperture for a telescope gathering ISO Far-infrared radiation.

No the aperture is in reference to how much radiation you want to gather not what type of radiation. Normally bigger is better, maybe you are thinking of the focal point, that does change for the different types of light.

If not then I am confused by your question also?

Quagz said:

As Sas3 said, the aperture isn't usually dependent on the type of light you want to capture. A bigger aperture simply captures more light overall, of any type.

I've moved this discussion to a new thread, since it's not really related to Astrophotography.

Quagz said:
As others said, your question is worded rather strangely. ISO -- the Infrared Space Observatory -- is one specific telescope with a definite aperture, so it is odd to ask for an "example aperture" when asking about a specific telescope. It's kind of like asking "please give an example of John Smith's last name". Unless you mean something entirely different by ISO?

According to Wikipedia, the ISO has an aperture of 60 cm.

Also, try researching/googling "resolving power" of a telescope.

The ability for a telescope to resolve two objects of an given angular distance is a function of the telescope's aperture. It is also a function of the wavelength of light being observed. This is the result of diffraction.

The detail is proportional to the aperture, and inversely proportional to the wavelength.

Putting it a different way: The bigger the aperture, the smaller the diffraction. The bigger the wavelength, the bigger the diffraction.

Resolving power can be expressed as

[tex] \sin \theta = 1.220 \frac{\lambda}{D} [/tex]

Where [itex] \theta [/itex] is the minimum angular separation in radians, [itex] \lambda [/itex] is the wavelength of the light, and [itex] D [/itex] is the telescope's aperture.

And since [itex] \theta [/itex] is bound to be small for any practical telescope application, you might want to make the approximation (for small [itex] \theta [/itex]), [itex] \sin \theta \approx \theta [/itex]

Although the above is fine and good, it really represents the maximum resolving power. Other factors such as atmospheric "seeing" can reduce the effective resolution (for Earth based telescopes) to something worse than what is given above.

Last edited:
@collinsmark Many thanks for you reply and also understanding the question unlike some :)

1. What is the aperture of a telescope?

The aperture of a telescope refers to the diameter of the main lens or mirror that collects and focuses incoming light. It is typically measured in millimeters or inches and plays a crucial role in determining the telescope's light-gathering ability and resolving power.

2. How does the aperture affect the performance of a telescope?

The larger the aperture, the more light the telescope can gather, resulting in brighter and clearer images. It also improves the telescope's resolving power, allowing it to distinguish finer details in the observed objects. Therefore, aperture is a critical factor in determining the overall performance of a telescope.

3. What is the relationship between aperture and magnification?

The aperture of a telescope does not directly affect its magnification. Instead, magnification depends on the eyepiece used. However, a larger aperture can support higher magnification without compromising image quality, making it easier to observe faint and distant objects with greater detail.

4. How does the aperture of a telescope impact its portability and cost?

The larger the aperture of a telescope, the more massive and bulkier it will be, making it less portable. Additionally, larger apertures require more precise and expensive optical components, increasing the overall cost of the telescope. Therefore, the choice of aperture should consider the intended use and budget.

5. Is a larger aperture always better for a telescope?

While a larger aperture can bring significant benefits to a telescope's performance, it is not always necessary or desirable. For example, for casual stargazing or observing nearby objects, a smaller aperture telescope may be more practical and cost-effective. It ultimately depends on the observer's needs and preferences.