How do I explicate A is countable ?

• Thread starter mpitluk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a set being countable in a model, which means that there exists a bijection between the set and the natural numbers. This bijection is represented by a set of ordered pairs, which is a subset of the Cartesian product of the model and the natural numbers. Additionally, the ordered pairs can be further broken down into subsets of the power set of the union of the model and the natural numbers.
mpitluk
How do I explicate "A is countable"?

My attempt:

In set theory, every thing is a set, even functions. Thus when we say "A is countable in M" we mean that there is another set B in M that contains {naturals} and A as ordered pairs.

I'm having trouble spelling out the "as ordered pairs" part.

Is is: B in M that contains N and A in ordered pairs such that (a, n) where a ∈ A and n ∈ N and for every a there is exactly one corresponding n and for every n there is exactly one corresponding a?

Is there an easier way to write this?

Physics news on Phys.org

When you say "A is countable in M", you mean A is a countable subset of M, right?

Okay then that means that there is a bijection between A and N. So there exists a set of ordered pairs {(a,n) | a belongs to A and n belongs to N}. For each a in A there is exactly one corresponding ordered pair whose first component is a (this makes it a function), and likewise for each n in N (which makes it bijective).

This set corresponding to the bijection is itself a subset of the Cartesian product M X N.

If you want to break this down one step further then (a,n) = { {a},{a,n}}. So the ordered pairs are technically subsets of the power set of (M union N).

Vargo said:
When you say "A is countable in M", you mean A is a countable subset of M, right?
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I meant that M is a model that satisfies the sentence "A is countable." But, I don't think that affects anything else you wrote as models are sets as well. Thanks!

1. How do I know if A is countable?

A set is considered countable if there exists a one-to-one correspondence between its elements and the set of natural numbers. This means that each element in the set can be mapped to a unique natural number, and vice versa.

2. What is the difference between countable and uncountable sets?

Countable sets have a finite or infinite number of elements that can be counted and mapped to natural numbers. Uncountable sets have an infinite number of elements that cannot be counted or mapped to natural numbers.

3. Can a set be both countable and uncountable?

No, a set cannot be both countable and uncountable. It is either one or the other based on the criteria of having a one-to-one correspondence with natural numbers.

4. How do I explicate that A is countable?

To explicate that A is countable, you must show that each element in the set can be mapped to a unique natural number and that there are no elements left out or repeated. This can be done through a mathematical proof or by constructing a bijection between A and the set of natural numbers.

5. What are some examples of countable and uncountable sets?

Countable sets include the set of positive integers, the set of even integers, and the set of prime numbers. Uncountable sets include the set of real numbers, the set of irrational numbers, and the set of all possible subsets of a given set.