Exploring Experimental Evidence for General Relativity: A Comprehensive Overview

In summary, there have been various experiments, such as the Pound & Rebka experiment, the precession of the perihelion of Mercury, and the deflection of star light near the Sun during a total eclipse, that have provided evidence for the theory of general relativity. More recent experiments, such as the time delay of radio/radar signals and the loss of orbital energy by gravitational wave radiation, have also shown support for the theory. However, some observations, such as those of pulsars in strong magnetic fields, are still dependent on theory and assumptions. Other experiments, such as the one with the atomic clocks and the GPS system, have provided everyday life applications of general relativity. Overall, there is a wealth of information and
djmike
I know there have been some frame dragging effect experiments, with the GPB being performed at the moment. Which other experiments are planned/ or have been performed that may show strong evidence for the theory of GR?

any experiments at all will be appreciated...whether they show evidence for or against the theory. Any ideas are welcome and I hope to get as broad a start as possible, that's why I have posted...so I can be more confident that I haven't overlooked anything significant

I am a 4th year undergrad and need to produce an essay on 'experimental evidence for the general theory of relativity' --some keywords to use a starting point will be greatly recieved

many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jmike!

The classic observational tests -
Gravitational red shift - the Pound & Rebka experiment,
the precession of the perihelion of Mercury,
the deflection of star light near the Sun during a total eclipse

The more recent tests -
the time delay of radio/radar signals from Mecury/ spacecraft at superior conjunction.
the loss of orbital energy by gravitational wave radiation from the binary pulsar.

The GPB experiment measuring not only 'frame dragging or the gravitomagnetic precession in a E-W direction caused by the spinning Earth dragging space-time with it, but also the geodetic precession in a N-S direction (GPB is in a polar orbit) caused by the gyros 'tilting down' the slope of the Earth's curvature.
Observations of pulsars in strong magnetic fields are claimed to have already verified these last two but those observations are not clean in that their interpretation is theory dependent and assumptions have had to be made.

Garth

djmike said:
I am a 4th year undergrad and need to produce an essay on 'experimental evidence for the general theory of relativity' --some keywords to use a starting point will be greatly recieved

Clifford M. Will of Washington University has written extensively about experimental tests of general relativity, including a popular-level book "Was Einstein Right?" and a monograph "Theory and Experiment in Gravitational Physics" (Cambridge U. Press). Check your library.

These books are now over ten years old, and there's been a lot of progress since then, but they should get you started.

Here is a pretty good source for starters:
http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/tests.html

Last edited by a moderator:
djmike said:
I know there have been some frame dragging effect experiments, with the GPB being performed at the moment. Which other experiments are planned/ or have been performed that may show strong evidence for the theory of GR?

any experiments at all will be appreciated...whether they show evidence for or against the theory. Any ideas are welcome and I hope to get as broad a start as possible, that's why I have posted...so I can be more confident that I haven't overlooked anything significant

many thanks

In some major university (I forgot, maybe stanford or Harvard), an experiment was performed. An atomic clock was put at very high altatutes, and another was kept on the ground. And a Dilation in time was observed. I don't know if this was the answer you were looking for or not.

:zzz:

jtbell said:
Clifford M. Will of Washington University has written extensively about experimental tests of general relativity, including a popular-level book "Was Einstein Right?" and a monograph "Theory and Experiment in Gravitational Physics" (Cambridge U. Press). Check your library.

These books are now over ten years old, and there's been a lot of progress since then, but they should get you started.

He has an essay on the GPS system in the Physics Central website. One can access it at

http://www.physicscentral.com/writers/writers-00-2.html

It's one of the clearest indication that GR has some degree of validity, or else our lives (especially those who fly commercial aviation) will be in jeopardy.

Zz.

https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&journalid=13790&action=view

I also wrote a text on this with some links, in my journal.

Just goto the "Einstein in everyday life" entry

regards
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
jeez, many thanks guys... only checked back a day or 2 after posting and now this...:) excellent stuff. thanks very much

eNathan said:
In some major university (I forgot, maybe stanford or Harvard), an experiment was performed. An atomic clock was put at very high altatutes, and another was kept on the ground. And a Dilation in time was observed. I don't know if this was the answer you were looking for or not.

:zzz:

This is experimental proof of the theory of special relativity, not general relativity.

Also look for stuff on gravitational arcs due to lensing etc.

1. What is the experimental evidence for General Relativity (GR)?

The experimental evidence for GR is extensive and diverse, including the observations of gravitational lensing, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the measurement of gravitational redshift. These observations have been extensively tested and have consistently supported the predictions of GR.

2. How does the phenomenon of gravitational lensing provide evidence for GR?

Gravitational lensing is the bending of light by massive objects, such as galaxies or clusters of galaxies. This phenomenon is a direct result of the curvature of space and time predicted by GR. The observed amount of lensing has been found to match the predictions of GR, providing strong evidence for the theory.

3. What is the significance of the precession of Mercury's orbit in supporting GR?

The precession of Mercury's orbit refers to the gradual shift in the orientation of Mercury's orbit over time. This phenomenon could not be explained by Newtonian gravity, but GR accurately predicted the observed precession. This was one of the earliest pieces of evidence for GR and helped solidify its acceptance in the scientific community.

4. How does the measurement of gravitational redshift support GR?

Gravitational redshift is the phenomenon where light appears to be redshifted when it passes through a strong gravitational field. This is due to the stretching of space and time predicted by GR. The observed amount of gravitational redshift has been found to match the predictions of GR, providing further evidence for the theory.

5. Are there any ongoing experiments or observations that continue to support GR?

Yes, there are ongoing experiments and observations that continue to support GR. For example, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) has detected gravitational waves, which were predicted by GR. These observations have provided further confirmation of the theory and have opened up new avenues for testing and exploring GR.