Branched suction pipe foR a pump

In summary: The pump is driven by a 12V DC rotary Vane Motor. The pump requires 12 volts to run, and the motor is available. Thanks for your question.
prasan_y2k
A PUMP OF 0.25HP IS CONNECTED IN THE ABOVE FASHION (REF ATTACHMENT) TO THREE TANKS BY MEANS OF A SINGLE SUCTION PIPE. THE SINGLE SUCTION PIPE IS FURTHER BRANCHED TO THREE SUCTION PIPES, ONE EACH FOR THREE TANKS.
THE DESIGN DISCHARGE CAPACITY OF THE PUMP IS APPROXIMATELY 45 LIT/MIN. BUT PRACTICALLY, AS PER THE ABOVE ARRANGEMENT, THE DISCHARGE RATE IS SHOWN TO BE VERY LOW (APPROX 8-10 LIT/MIN). HOW CAN WE INCREASE THE DISCHARGE RATE OF THE PUMP??
IF WE INTERCONNECT THE TANKS FROM BOTTOM AND KEEP A SINGLE SUCTION PIPE AND REMOVE THE BRANCHING, WILL THERE BE AN INCRESE IN DISCHARGE RATE OF THE PUMP?
Given: Height of the pump from tank base: 1.5m

Attachments

• REAL PUMP PROBLEM.doc
    31 KB · Views: 362
Engineering news on Phys.org
First, what type of pump is it? I'm assuming it's a centrifugal pump, and that's what the rest of this reply will be based on.

I don't believe that would help (connecting the tanks), especially since the reentrants would introduce more friction losses in your available suction head.

Can you increase the speed of the pump? It doesn't sound like you are having cavitation problems, or running the pump dry. Just sounds like you are getting low flow.

Do you hear any strange noises in the pump? Any vibration? Any pulsing in the discharge lines?

Generally we want to keep our suction lines large. When the three lines come together, do you increase the line size of the pump suction?

The pump is a 12 Volt DC Rotary Vane Pump. The pump is running on a 12 volt battery, so I cannot figure a way out to increase the speed. There is no strange sound or vibration in the pump. When the three lines come together, the pipe dia remains same (1").

I am still confused as how the interconnection of tanks will introduce more frictional losses in suction head. The interconnection of tanks (by means of 1/2" pipes) will make the suction line without branches, and make the 3 tanks behave as one.

Also, I would like to add that the discharge hose is 100 feet long and is kept on a hose reel. Nevertheless, even if the entire hose is taken off the hose reel, there is hardly any noticable change in discharge rate.

Yea, I don't see friction being your main concern here anyway. I don't think modifying that will change your system, it's a PD pump afterall.

I think speed here is your biggest concern. I would bet that your pump is not spinning fast enough.

Thanks for your reply.

The pump is wired directly from a 12V auxillary car battery and the battery is fully charged. Battery charges itself from the car's alternator. I don't see any way how to increase voltage, as that may lead to increasing speed.

But won't the pump make less effort in suction from one pipe(later after interconnecting the tanks) rather than three (as in the present case)?

It's a PD pump, suction isn't an issue, really. At a given speed, the pump will provide a certain capacity, basically no matter what. PD pumps are very good at suction head.

The only think I can think of is somehow the flow is being choked in the small diameter pipe when they all meet.

With that said, one suction pipe will probably make it more efficient, anyway. But not noticeably. If it isn't very expensive, go ahead and change the set up, and use a larger diameter pipe, reduce at the pump suction if you need 1 inch, just be sure to use the right type of reducer, or do it a few diameters upstream.

What type of drive is it from the motor to the pump? No room for a gear assembly or small sheaves?

What are the electrical requirements of the motor you are using for the pump? Do you have them available?

1. What is a branched suction pipe for a pump?

A branched suction pipe for a pump is a type of pipe that is used to transport fluids, typically water, from a source to a pump. It has multiple branches or outlets that can be connected to different sources or pumps.

2. How does a branched suction pipe function?

The branched suction pipe works by using a vacuum created by the pump to draw water from the source through the pipe and into the pump. The multiple branches allow for water to be drawn from different sources simultaneously.

3. What are the benefits of using a branched suction pipe?

Some benefits of using a branched suction pipe include increased efficiency, as multiple sources can be connected to one pump, and the ability to draw water from different locations, making it useful in areas with limited water resources.

4. What materials are used to make a branched suction pipe?

Branched suction pipes are typically made from durable materials such as PVC, steel, or aluminum. These materials are able to withstand the pressure and flow of water and are resistant to corrosion.

5. How do I choose the right size of branched suction pipe for my pump?

The size of the branched suction pipe will depend on the size and type of the pump you are using, as well as the flow rate and pressure of the water source. It is important to consult with a professional to ensure you choose the correct size for your specific needs.