Voltage drop across a diode in a high-amperage circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a diode where the task is to determine if the diode is on or off. The person tried examining the circuit with the diode open and then with a ground at the positive end of the voltage source. They used the voltage difference principle to see if the voltage across the gap was greater than 0.7V, but found it was not. After some discussion, they realize they have a sign error and rework the problem assuming the diode is on. They come to the conclusion that the diode must be on, not off, based on the direction of the current and voltage across the resistor.
enthdegree
I'm given a strange single-diode circuit where you must find out whether or not the diode is on. See the top diagram in the linked image:

http://i.imgur.com/y1sn3.png

(Current source is indeed 1 Amp, not 1mA as the 2kΩ resistor would suggest. Please do not try to correct the initial question by flipping the diode or whatnot. I have confirmed that this is exactly the question that must be solved.)

So to solve this, I tried examining the circuit as if the diode were open.

I stuck a ground at the positive end of the voltage source for reference (I know it's a weird location but for simple circuit analysis it should be arbitrary, right?) and then looked at the voltage from that point to the positive end of Vd to get Va.

I started again at ground, but this time went towards the negative terminal to get Vb.

I used the voltage difference principle 'V=Va - Vb` to see if the voltage across the gap was greater than 0.7V. It was not.

After asking a few people they say I have a sign error but I cannot find it.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the diode is ON not OFF. The numbers appear correct but the conclusion at the bottom appears wrong.

If you assume the diode is OFF (as they did) you have 0V on the left hand side of the diode and -2010 on the right hand side. That would imply the diode is ON not OFF.

So then rework the problem assuming the diode is ON... With the +ve of the voltage source at 0V the bottom end of the resistor is at -10V. Voltage across resistor is 9.3V so current flowing through the resistor is 9.3/2k = 4.7mA. Current through diode is 1A + 4.7mA.

Attachments

• y1sn3.png
    y1sn3.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Analysis with diode on..

Attachments

• y1sn4.png
    y1sn4.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 455
Ah ha, so you go from the terminals towards the ground, not from the ground towards the terminals!

I was calculating voltage in the wrong direction.

Thank you very much!

Not quite sure what you mean but you can sum voltages around a circuit in any direction as long as you are consistent.

The trick with this particular problem is to realize that if the diode were OFF it could be removed from the circuit. Then all the current from the 1A current source must flow through the resistor. The current direction tells you which end of the resistor will have the higher voltage and which the lower. Then it's clear which end of the diode is at the higher voltage. That tells you the diode must be ON not OFF.

Last edited:

1. What is voltage drop across a diode?

The voltage drop across a diode refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs when current flows through the diode. This voltage drop is due to the internal resistance of the diode and is typically around 0.7 volts for silicon diodes and 0.3 volts for germanium diodes.

2. How does a diode affect the overall voltage in a high-amperage circuit?

A diode acts as a one-way valve for electric current, allowing it to flow in only one direction. This means that the voltage drop across the diode will affect the overall voltage in the circuit, as the voltage will decrease when current flows through the diode.

3. What factors can affect the voltage drop across a diode in a high-amperage circuit?

The voltage drop across a diode can be affected by several factors, including the type of diode, the amount of current flowing through the diode, and the temperature of the diode. Higher currents and higher temperatures can result in a larger voltage drop across the diode.

4. How can the voltage drop across a diode be calculated?

The voltage drop across a diode can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). In the case of a diode, the resistance is the voltage drop, so the equation becomes V = IR. However, as the voltage drop across a diode is not a constant value, this calculation may only provide an estimate.

5. What are some potential implications of a high voltage drop across a diode in a high-amperage circuit?

A high voltage drop across a diode can result in a significant amount of power being dissipated as heat, which can cause the diode to overheat and potentially fail. It can also decrease the overall efficiency of the circuit, as the voltage drop means that less power is reaching the intended load. Additionally, a high voltage drop across a diode may indicate a problem with the circuit, such as a short circuit or incorrect wiring.