Relationship Between Surface and Core Temperature of Steel

In summary, the conversation involved an intern seeking help with a mechanical engineering project involving calculating the internal temperature of a piece of steel based on its surface temperature. Initially, the intern considered using a heat conduction equation and assumed a constant rate of heat transfer at the surface. However, they later decided to drill holes and use thermocouples to directly measure the temperature. The question then arose about how to account for thermal expansion when drilling the holes, to which another intern responded that the holes would also increase in size due to thermal expansion.
DrewGerhan
Hey guys,
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I am currently an intern taking 6 months off from my senior year pursuing a mechanical engineering degree. Having not taken a heat transfer class yet, I am stumped as to how to go about tackling my latest project.

Basically what I need to figure out is how to relate the surface temperature of a piece of stock (1045 steel) that is found using either an IR or contact thermometer to the internal, core, temperature of that same piece. The goal of the project is to be able to take the temperature of the outside of the part, look at a chart and find out the internal temperature and whether or not the part is done cooling.

The biggest piece in question is around 20" diameter and varies down to 8" diameter and will have been in a furnace set at 2300*F with enough time to soak.

Not asking for anyone to do this for me, just help me get started in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Drew

Engineering news on Phys.org
One would have to know the original temperature, the size of the heat, density and heat capacity, and some idea of the heat transfer in air, or the thermal conductivity. One solves a time dependent heat conduction equation and may assume that the rate of heat transfer at the surface is more or less constant, and relate that to the thermal gradient.

Astronuc, I think I have gotten to that point. I have attached my work up to this point in the pdf. If my calculations are correct, the core of a 20" diameter piece would be around 1200F after 13 hours if it started at a uniform 2300F.

The original temperature of the part would either be 2300F or 1550F after it comes out of the forging furnace or normalizing furnace respectively. We assume they are uniform temperature as they have have been allowed to soak for 1 hr/in of diameter. I found density to be ρ=7870kg/m3, heat capacity to be 486 J/kg-C and thermal conductivity to be 51.9 W/m-C.

How does the thermal gradient come into play?

Attachments

• Forging Time to Cool.pdf
    271.1 KB · Views: 583
DrewGerhan said:
Astronuc, I think I have gotten to that point. I have attached my work up to this point in the pdf. If my calculations are correct, the core of a 20" diameter piece would be around 1200F after 13 hours if it started at a uniform 2300F.

The original temperature of the part would either be 2300F or 1550F after it comes out of the forging furnace or normalizing furnace respectively. We assume they are uniform temperature as they have have been allowed to soak for 1 hr/in of diameter. I found density to be ρ=7870kg/m3, heat capacity to be 486 J/kg-C and thermal conductivity to be 51.9 W/m-C.

How does the thermal gradient come into play?

I didn't check your exact numbers but BiFo equation is how you should calculate the time.

He mentioned the thermal gradient because you asked how to determine it as a function of surface temperature. However, that is a complicated mess as the dT/dr is a function of time also. Doing it by time is how most in industry do it because it takes so long because of the high heat capacity of the objects they use (as you calculated 13 + hours to cool).

Well we've decided to take another approach to this project. My task now is to drill to holes into a scrap piece of stock to put thermocouples in and directly measure the temperature to get a cooling curve.

My question now is, how do I account for thermal expansion when I drill these holes? Obviously the bar itself will grow in volume when it is heated and therefore the hole diameters will shrink. I'v attached a picture in pdf format to try to show how I plan on setting this up. The stock in this case will be roughly 10" diameter 1045 steel.

Attachments

• Crankshaft Temperature Measuring Setup.pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 284
Anyone able to shed some light on this for me?

Hey I am also an intern and taking time out of uni so i may not be the most reliable person. But from some work I have done on thermal expansion - your holes will not shrink, they will also increase. So basiclally if you had a steel bar with an extruded hole in the centre, your OD and ID both increase. Think of the thermal expansion as a scale up.

1. What is the relationship between surface and core temperature of steel?

The relationship between surface and core temperature of steel is that the surface temperature of steel is typically higher than the core temperature due to thermal conductivity. This means that heat is transferred from the core to the surface, resulting in a temperature gradient within the steel.

2. How does the surface temperature of steel affect its core temperature?

The surface temperature of steel affects its core temperature by creating a temperature gradient within the steel. As heat is transferred from the core to the surface, the core temperature decreases, while the surface temperature increases. This relationship is important in various industrial processes such as welding and heat treatment.

3. What factors influence the surface and core temperature of steel?

The surface and core temperature of steel are influenced by several factors, including the type of steel, its thickness, the surrounding environment, and the duration of heating. Other factors such as heat transfer rate, cooling rate, and heat source also play a role in determining the temperature distribution within the steel.

4. Why is it important to understand the relationship between surface and core temperature of steel?

Understanding the relationship between surface and core temperature of steel is crucial in various industrial processes such as welding, heat treatment, and metal forming. It allows engineers to control and manipulate the temperature distribution within the steel to achieve desired properties and prevent failure.

5. How can the surface and core temperature of steel be measured?

The surface and core temperature of steel can be measured using various techniques, including thermocouples, infrared thermometers, and thermal imaging cameras. These methods allow for non-contact and accurate measurement of temperature, making them suitable for industrial applications.